LGBTQ, News

‘DragOut’ aims to shatter stereotypes

Professional drag queen "Pusilla" from the South Beach club "Twist" hosted SpectrUM's DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Professional drag queen “Pusilla” from the South Beach club “Twist” hosted SpectrUM’s DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Lip-syncing, dance routines and other talents will be showcased Thursday at the Rat.

UPride will host its second annual “DragOut,” a drag show that aims to raise awareness about the LGBT community on campus. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Yes Institute, an organization that strives to prevent suicide and ensure health and safety for youth through communication as well as gender and orientation education.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph may be performing along with ten other students. Alongside them, Tiffany Fantasia, a well-known drag queen, will emcee the show. Fantasia regularly performs at the Palace nightclub in South Beach.

“We’re pulling out all the stops with lighting, sound and other professional drag queens to make this year even better,” Rudolph said. “It’s going to be legendary.”

Rudolph, who also performed last year, enjoys seeing people’s reactions.

“My favorite part in preparaing for DragOut is that I get to let the anticipation build up for the looks on people’s faces when they see me in a dress looking hashtag flawless,” he said.

Sophomore Jessica Smart attended last year’s show.

“I think the drag show is a good way to raise awareness and acceptance for the LGBT community at UM in a manner that anyone can enjoy,” she said.

Tickets will be on sale Feb. 17 at the Butler Center in the Student Activities Center. Students have free admission, and all other guests are asked to donate $20 toward UPride. This year, VIP tickets will also be available for $10, where  buyers are offered special seating and a wait staff to serve them drinks.

Matilde Piana

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...