LGBTQ, News

‘DragOut’ aims to shatter stereotypes

Professional drag queen "Pusilla" from the South Beach club "Twist" hosted SpectrUM's DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Professional drag queen “Pusilla” from the South Beach club “Twist” hosted SpectrUM’s DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Lip-syncing, dance routines and other talents will be showcased Thursday at the Rat.

UPride will host its second annual “DragOut,” a drag show that aims to raise awareness about the LGBT community on campus. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Yes Institute, an organization that strives to prevent suicide and ensure health and safety for youth through communication as well as gender and orientation education.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph may be performing along with ten other students. Alongside them, Tiffany Fantasia, a well-known drag queen, will emcee the show. Fantasia regularly performs at the Palace nightclub in South Beach.

“We’re pulling out all the stops with lighting, sound and other professional drag queens to make this year even better,” Rudolph said. “It’s going to be legendary.”

Rudolph, who also performed last year, enjoys seeing people’s reactions.

“My favorite part in preparaing for DragOut is that I get to let the anticipation build up for the looks on people’s faces when they see me in a dress looking hashtag flawless,” he said.

Sophomore Jessica Smart attended last year’s show.

“I think the drag show is a good way to raise awareness and acceptance for the LGBT community at UM in a manner that anyone can enjoy,” she said.

Tickets will be on sale Feb. 17 at the Butler Center in the Student Activities Center. Students have free admission, and all other guests are asked to donate $20 toward UPride. This year, VIP tickets will also be available for $10, where  buyers are offered special seating and a wait staff to serve them drinks.

Matilde Piana

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...