LGBTQ, News

‘DragOut’ aims to shatter stereotypes

Professional drag queen "Pusilla" from the South Beach club "Twist" hosted SpectrUM's DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Professional drag queen “Pusilla” from the South Beach club “Twist” hosted SpectrUM’s DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Lip-syncing, dance routines and other talents will be showcased Thursday at the Rat.

UPride will host its second annual “DragOut,” a drag show that aims to raise awareness about the LGBT community on campus. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Yes Institute, an organization that strives to prevent suicide and ensure health and safety for youth through communication as well as gender and orientation education.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph may be performing along with ten other students. Alongside them, Tiffany Fantasia, a well-known drag queen, will emcee the show. Fantasia regularly performs at the Palace nightclub in South Beach.

“We’re pulling out all the stops with lighting, sound and other professional drag queens to make this year even better,” Rudolph said. “It’s going to be legendary.”

Rudolph, who also performed last year, enjoys seeing people’s reactions.

“My favorite part in preparaing for DragOut is that I get to let the anticipation build up for the looks on people’s faces when they see me in a dress looking hashtag flawless,” he said.

Sophomore Jessica Smart attended last year’s show.

“I think the drag show is a good way to raise awareness and acceptance for the LGBT community at UM in a manner that anyone can enjoy,” she said.

Tickets will be on sale Feb. 17 at the Butler Center in the Student Activities Center. Students have free admission, and all other guests are asked to donate $20 toward UPride. This year, VIP tickets will also be available for $10, where  buyers are offered special seating and a wait staff to serve them drinks.

Matilde Piana

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...