LGBTQ, News

‘DragOut’ aims to shatter stereotypes

Professional drag queen "Pusilla" from the South Beach club "Twist" hosted SpectrUM's DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Professional drag queen “Pusilla” from the South Beach club “Twist” hosted SpectrUM’s DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Lip-syncing, dance routines and other talents will be showcased Thursday at the Rat.

UPride will host its second annual “DragOut,” a drag show that aims to raise awareness about the LGBT community on campus. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Yes Institute, an organization that strives to prevent suicide and ensure health and safety for youth through communication as well as gender and orientation education.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph may be performing along with ten other students. Alongside them, Tiffany Fantasia, a well-known drag queen, will emcee the show. Fantasia regularly performs at the Palace nightclub in South Beach.

“We’re pulling out all the stops with lighting, sound and other professional drag queens to make this year even better,” Rudolph said. “It’s going to be legendary.”

Rudolph, who also performed last year, enjoys seeing people’s reactions.

“My favorite part in preparaing for DragOut is that I get to let the anticipation build up for the looks on people’s faces when they see me in a dress looking hashtag flawless,” he said.

Sophomore Jessica Smart attended last year’s show.

“I think the drag show is a good way to raise awareness and acceptance for the LGBT community at UM in a manner that anyone can enjoy,” she said.

Tickets will be on sale Feb. 17 at the Butler Center in the Student Activities Center. Students have free admission, and all other guests are asked to donate $20 toward UPride. This year, VIP tickets will also be available for $10, where  buyers are offered special seating and a wait staff to serve them drinks.

Matilde Piana

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...