LGBTQ, News

‘DragOut’ aims to shatter stereotypes

Professional drag queen "Pusilla" from the South Beach club "Twist" hosted SpectrUM's DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Professional drag queen “Pusilla” from the South Beach club “Twist” hosted SpectrUM’s DragOut 2014 drag show held at the Rat last year. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Lip-syncing, dance routines and other talents will be showcased Thursday at the Rat.

UPride will host its second annual “DragOut,” a drag show that aims to raise awareness about the LGBT community on campus. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Yes Institute, an organization that strives to prevent suicide and ensure health and safety for youth through communication as well as gender and orientation education.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph may be performing along with ten other students. Alongside them, Tiffany Fantasia, a well-known drag queen, will emcee the show. Fantasia regularly performs at the Palace nightclub in South Beach.

“We’re pulling out all the stops with lighting, sound and other professional drag queens to make this year even better,” Rudolph said. “It’s going to be legendary.”

Rudolph, who also performed last year, enjoys seeing people’s reactions.

“My favorite part in preparaing for DragOut is that I get to let the anticipation build up for the looks on people’s faces when they see me in a dress looking hashtag flawless,” he said.

Sophomore Jessica Smart attended last year’s show.

“I think the drag show is a good way to raise awareness and acceptance for the LGBT community at UM in a manner that anyone can enjoy,” she said.

Tickets will be on sale Feb. 17 at the Butler Center in the Student Activities Center. Students have free admission, and all other guests are asked to donate $20 toward UPride. This year, VIP tickets will also be available for $10, where  buyers are offered special seating and a wait staff to serve them drinks.

Matilde Piana

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.