Community, Edge

Coconut Grove Arts Festival features eclectic music showcase

Coconut Grove Arts Festival (CGAF) is a three-day outdoor fine arts festival in Miami where artists around the world display their works alongside food, music and a lively atmosphere. CGAF opened Saturday for its 52nd year with, more than 380 artists participating, and will run through Monday.

The festival partnered with the Miami New Times to offer a whole showcase of eclectic musical artists at the main stage. With Zach Deputy, a self-described one-man “Island-infused, Drum ‘n’ Bass, Gospel-Ninja-Soul,” and a special guest, Miami natives Juke, the first day concluded with a major open field dance party for fans of a fusion of rhythm and blues, soul, jam, Caribbean and electronica music.

Continuing the high-quality performance, the award-winning, psychedelic southern rock band Bright Light Social Hour will rock on Sunday evening. Being a favorite on the national touring rotation with incendiary live performances, the band has swept six awards presented by the SXSW 2011 Austin Music Awards, including Band of the Year, Album of the Year and Song of the Year. Their second full-length album will also be released in March.

On Monday, the wildly unapologetic and kazoo-wielding Beebs and Her Moneymakers will end the festival.

Saturday

Gold Dust Lounge 12:30 p.m.

Robby Hunter 2 p.m.

My Deer 3:30 p.m.

Zach Deputy w/ Special Guests: Juke 5 p.m.

Sunday

Krisp 12:30 p.m.

The Deaf Poets 1:30 p.m.

Ketchy Shuby 2:30 p.m.

Locos Por Juana 3:30 p.m.

The Bright Light Social Hour 5 p.m.

Monday

Chloe Dolandis 12:30 p.m.

Shotgun Betty 2 p.m.

Suenalo 3:30 p.m.

Beebs & Her Moneymakers 5 p.m.

Featured Photo Courtesy Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

Siyuan Tong

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...