Community, Edge

Celebrating Mardi Gras in South Florida

Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday” in French, derives its name from the rich, fatty foods that are traditionally consumed on the holiday of indulgence, revelry and occasional debauchery.

As the last hurrah before the asceticism of the religious holiday Lent, Mardi Gras is characterized by opulent parades, masked party-goers and overall public mischief. For local revelers and jesters, Miami offers a smattering of opportunities to celebrate.

Shuck-N-Dive Cajun Cafe

Shuck-n-Dive Cajun Cafe will host its 17th annual Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday evening. Stop by from noon to midnight for some cajun classics, such as fresh oysters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp-n-grits, crawfish boil, and boudin sausage. Shuck-n-Dive is located at 650 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33304.

Mary Brickell Village

Featuring stilt walkers, drummers, dancers, unicyclists and live blues, this downtown celebration lasts from 6 to 11 p.m on Tuesday. Mary Brickell Village is located at 901 S Miami Avenue, Miami, Fla. 33130.

The Fish House

The Fish House, a casual dining seafood restaurant, will host a Mardi Gras celebration featuring live jazz blues music and food. The festivities begin 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The Fish House is located at 10000 SW 56th St. Kendall, Fla., 33165.

Karaoke at the Blue Martini

This 21-and-over venue at will feature its weekly karaoke night at 10 p.m. Monday evening with a Mardi Gras twist. Guests are encouraged to dress in costumes and masks. Blue Martini is located at 8405 Mills Drive, Kendall, Fla. 33183.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Mark Gstohl

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...