Community, Culture

Celebrating Mardi Gras in South Florida

Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday” in French, derives its name from the rich, fatty foods that are traditionally consumed on the holiday of indulgence, revelry and occasional debauchery.

As the last hurrah before the asceticism of the religious holiday Lent, Mardi Gras is characterized by opulent parades, masked party-goers and overall public mischief. For local revelers and jesters, Miami offers a smattering of opportunities to celebrate.

Shuck-N-Dive Cajun Cafe

Shuck-n-Dive Cajun Cafe will host its 17th annual Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday evening. Stop by from noon to midnight for some cajun classics, such as fresh oysters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp-n-grits, crawfish boil, and boudin sausage. Shuck-n-Dive is located at 650 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33304.

Mary Brickell Village

Featuring stilt walkers, drummers, dancers, unicyclists and live blues, this downtown celebration lasts from 6 to 11 p.m on Tuesday. Mary Brickell Village is located at 901 S Miami Avenue, Miami, Fla. 33130.

The Fish House

The Fish House, a casual dining seafood restaurant, will host a Mardi Gras celebration featuring live jazz blues music and food. The festivities begin 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The Fish House is located at 10000 SW 56th St. Kendall, Fla., 33165.

Karaoke at the Blue Martini

This 21-and-over venue at will feature its weekly karaoke night at 10 p.m. Monday evening with a Mardi Gras twist. Guests are encouraged to dress in costumes and masks. Blue Martini is located at 8405 Mills Drive, Kendall, Fla. 33183.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Mark Gstohl

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...