Community, Edge

Celebrating Mardi Gras in South Florida

Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday” in French, derives its name from the rich, fatty foods that are traditionally consumed on the holiday of indulgence, revelry and occasional debauchery.

As the last hurrah before the asceticism of the religious holiday Lent, Mardi Gras is characterized by opulent parades, masked party-goers and overall public mischief. For local revelers and jesters, Miami offers a smattering of opportunities to celebrate.

Shuck-N-Dive Cajun Cafe

Shuck-n-Dive Cajun Cafe will host its 17th annual Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday evening. Stop by from noon to midnight for some cajun classics, such as fresh oysters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp-n-grits, crawfish boil, and boudin sausage. Shuck-n-Dive is located at 650 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33304.

Mary Brickell Village

Featuring stilt walkers, drummers, dancers, unicyclists and live blues, this downtown celebration lasts from 6 to 11 p.m on Tuesday. Mary Brickell Village is located at 901 S Miami Avenue, Miami, Fla. 33130.

The Fish House

The Fish House, a casual dining seafood restaurant, will host a Mardi Gras celebration featuring live jazz blues music and food. The festivities begin 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The Fish House is located at 10000 SW 56th St. Kendall, Fla., 33165.

Karaoke at the Blue Martini

This 21-and-over venue at will feature its weekly karaoke night at 10 p.m. Monday evening with a Mardi Gras twist. Guests are encouraged to dress in costumes and masks. Blue Martini is located at 8405 Mills Drive, Kendall, Fla. 33183.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Mark Gstohl

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...