Basketball, Sports

Canes’ comeback leads to key ACC win

At Sunday's game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women's Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

At Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women’s Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

With the score tied at 49, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets began a 10-0 run to put them up 59-49 with 4:46 to go.

That would be the last time Georgia Tech scored.

Miami utilized a dramatic 15-0 run over the final few minutes to secure a critical win in conference play, defeating Georgia Tech 64-59 Sunday afternoon.

“The seniors did special things and if they want this season to be as special as I think it can be, they need to step up and win the game like that,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “Michelle Woods was inspiring tonight.”

Woods, a redshirt junior, hit two huge threes in the final minutes, part of a 13 point effort that saw her hit perhaps her biggest shots of the season. The Canes had three players in double figures, led by 18 from sophomore Adrienne Motley.

Nigia Greene added 11 for Miami, while having one of her best all around games of the season, tying a career high in steals with three and playing great defense throughout.

“The first half it was her offense and then in the second half they weren’t giving her clean looks, but defensively [she made plays],” Meier said. “. . . So, I was proud of Gia because she did whatever the team needed. We needed her to score in the first half and we needed defensive stops from her in the second half.”

Miami will hit the road Thursday for a tilt with N.C. State, before returning home this weekend for a matchup with North Carolina. With eight ACC wins and five conference games remaining, Miami sits in a great position in its efforts to return to the NCAA Tournament.

AJ Ricketts

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...