Basketball, Sports

Canes’ comeback leads to key ACC win

At Sunday's game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women's Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

At Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women’s Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

With the score tied at 49, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets began a 10-0 run to put them up 59-49 with 4:46 to go.

That would be the last time Georgia Tech scored.

Miami utilized a dramatic 15-0 run over the final few minutes to secure a critical win in conference play, defeating Georgia Tech 64-59 Sunday afternoon.

“The seniors did special things and if they want this season to be as special as I think it can be, they need to step up and win the game like that,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “Michelle Woods was inspiring tonight.”

Woods, a redshirt junior, hit two huge threes in the final minutes, part of a 13 point effort that saw her hit perhaps her biggest shots of the season. The Canes had three players in double figures, led by 18 from sophomore Adrienne Motley.

Nigia Greene added 11 for Miami, while having one of her best all around games of the season, tying a career high in steals with three and playing great defense throughout.

“The first half it was her offense and then in the second half they weren’t giving her clean looks, but defensively [she made plays],” Meier said. “. . . So, I was proud of Gia because she did whatever the team needed. We needed her to score in the first half and we needed defensive stops from her in the second half.”

Miami will hit the road Thursday for a tilt with N.C. State, before returning home this weekend for a matchup with North Carolina. With eight ACC wins and five conference games remaining, Miami sits in a great position in its efforts to return to the NCAA Tournament.

AJ Ricketts

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...