Basketball, Sports

Canes’ comeback leads to key ACC win

At Sunday's game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women's Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

At Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women’s Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

With the score tied at 49, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets began a 10-0 run to put them up 59-49 with 4:46 to go.

That would be the last time Georgia Tech scored.

Miami utilized a dramatic 15-0 run over the final few minutes to secure a critical win in conference play, defeating Georgia Tech 64-59 Sunday afternoon.

“The seniors did special things and if they want this season to be as special as I think it can be, they need to step up and win the game like that,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “Michelle Woods was inspiring tonight.”

Woods, a redshirt junior, hit two huge threes in the final minutes, part of a 13 point effort that saw her hit perhaps her biggest shots of the season. The Canes had three players in double figures, led by 18 from sophomore Adrienne Motley.

Nigia Greene added 11 for Miami, while having one of her best all around games of the season, tying a career high in steals with three and playing great defense throughout.

“The first half it was her offense and then in the second half they weren’t giving her clean looks, but defensively [she made plays],” Meier said. “. . . So, I was proud of Gia because she did whatever the team needed. We needed her to score in the first half and we needed defensive stops from her in the second half.”

Miami will hit the road Thursday for a tilt with N.C. State, before returning home this weekend for a matchup with North Carolina. With eight ACC wins and five conference games remaining, Miami sits in a great position in its efforts to return to the NCAA Tournament.

AJ Ricketts

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...