Basketball, Sports

Canes’ comeback leads to key ACC win

At Sunday's game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women's Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

At Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women’s Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

With the score tied at 49, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets began a 10-0 run to put them up 59-49 with 4:46 to go.

That would be the last time Georgia Tech scored.

Miami utilized a dramatic 15-0 run over the final few minutes to secure a critical win in conference play, defeating Georgia Tech 64-59 Sunday afternoon.

“The seniors did special things and if they want this season to be as special as I think it can be, they need to step up and win the game like that,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “Michelle Woods was inspiring tonight.”

Woods, a redshirt junior, hit two huge threes in the final minutes, part of a 13 point effort that saw her hit perhaps her biggest shots of the season. The Canes had three players in double figures, led by 18 from sophomore Adrienne Motley.

Nigia Greene added 11 for Miami, while having one of her best all around games of the season, tying a career high in steals with three and playing great defense throughout.

“The first half it was her offense and then in the second half they weren’t giving her clean looks, but defensively [she made plays],” Meier said. “. . . So, I was proud of Gia because she did whatever the team needed. We needed her to score in the first half and we needed defensive stops from her in the second half.”

Miami will hit the road Thursday for a tilt with N.C. State, before returning home this weekend for a matchup with North Carolina. With eight ACC wins and five conference games remaining, Miami sits in a great position in its efforts to return to the NCAA Tournament.

AJ Ricketts

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...