Basketball, Sports

Canes’ comeback leads to key ACC win

At Sunday's game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women's Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

At Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and the Women’s Basketball team wear pink as part of the Play 4Kay game that supports breast cancer awareness. Nagashreya Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

With the score tied at 49, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets began a 10-0 run to put them up 59-49 with 4:46 to go.

That would be the last time Georgia Tech scored.

Miami utilized a dramatic 15-0 run over the final few minutes to secure a critical win in conference play, defeating Georgia Tech 64-59 Sunday afternoon.

“The seniors did special things and if they want this season to be as special as I think it can be, they need to step up and win the game like that,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “Michelle Woods was inspiring tonight.”

Woods, a redshirt junior, hit two huge threes in the final minutes, part of a 13 point effort that saw her hit perhaps her biggest shots of the season. The Canes had three players in double figures, led by 18 from sophomore Adrienne Motley.

Nigia Greene added 11 for Miami, while having one of her best all around games of the season, tying a career high in steals with three and playing great defense throughout.

“The first half it was her offense and then in the second half they weren’t giving her clean looks, but defensively [she made plays],” Meier said. “. . . So, I was proud of Gia because she did whatever the team needed. We needed her to score in the first half and we needed defensive stops from her in the second half.”

Miami will hit the road Thursday for a tilt with N.C. State, before returning home this weekend for a matchup with North Carolina. With eight ACC wins and five conference games remaining, Miami sits in a great position in its efforts to return to the NCAA Tournament.

AJ Ricketts

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...