Community, Edge

Quench your thirst: the best bars in town

Though the Rat serves beer by the lake and under the shade of palm trees, residents know that it doesn’t even scratch the surface of the multitude of bars in Miami. Here are some cool places to enjoy the poison of your choice. And, obviously, they’re all not just at the Grove.

1. The Corner: 1035 N Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33136

A night owl would realize that this place is just a few steps away from clubs Space, Therapy and Eleven. The location adds to the eccentricity of the place. An endless selection of nuanced drinks mixed with passion and served with weekly live jazz performances makes this cocktail bar unique even without its fancy address. To top it off, it offers a distinctive array of snacks and grilled sandwiches in a kitchen that closes just before last call.

2. Better Days: 500 Brickell Bldg, Miami, FL 33131

This laid-back spot in Brickell is a prime place to go out and drink without spending the neighborhood’s prices. Although the drink selection leaves much to be desired, the place has a lot more going for it. To complement its relaxed atmosphere, Better Days has a pool table by the bar, a popcorn machine and a giant JENGA table, which you’ll find it by the couches and the TV that plays classic movies. Genius. They’ve also recently gotten a few of University of Miami’s DJ’s spinning on some Thursday nights. It’s a great, unpretentious atmosphere perfect for a quiet – but never too quiet – night out.

3. Gramps: 176 NW 24th St, Miami, FL 33127

Forget an address, Gramps is located by the building with a massive Grim Reaper clutching a flamingo painted on it. You can’t miss it, and you shouldn’t miss out on it, either. The X factor here is the string of cool, random events. On “TWO’SDAYS” they offer $2 beers from midnight till last call. Before that comes a game of trivia, where the winners receive $50 bar tab. Every second Thursday of the month, they host “Nerd Nite,” a few hours devoted to people sharing intellectual thoughts and conversations over drinks. The music is just as diverse as the events, from live rock to vinyl-spinning DJ’s on both the indoor and outdoor stages.

4. Sharkey’s Beer & Wine: Bayside Marketplace, 401 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132

With an endless selection of draft beer, Sharkey’s exudes the chill vibe you look for from a Bayside bar. Besides a great tap line, the selection features dozens of other bottled beers, many of which can’t be found in the average bar, such as Carribbean beers like Kalik. The sheer amount of beer comes in handy when the place gets packed during basketball and soccer games as beers are half-off during any live Miami Heat game. For food, try the Alligator Tid-Bits, which are made from real farm-raised Florida gators. Sharkey’s is a great outdoors spot to start sipping right by the ocean.

5. Mojito Bar: Bayside Marketplace, 401 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33132

You’ll probably hear their congas before you find the place. These guys take mojitos very seriously. Although the bar only has a little space, patrons here never say no to dancing. It flaunts a strictly Latin zest, making a delicious mojito taste even better, especially when you ask for a large (which is massive). If you’re really feeling it, the drinks pair well with a cigar from their small selection. Order a 32-ounce mega mojito and you get to keep the big LED light-up glass – if you remember to take it, that is.

Marwan Alenezi

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...