News, Student Government

SG President gives ‘State of the U’ update

Alessandria San Roman

San Roman // File Photo

Gathered on the Rock by a crowd of students and administrators, Student Government (SG) President Alessandria San Roman presented her administration’s success this past year in the annual State of the U address.

San Roman acknowledged how students were more involved this year, noting that over 500 students participated in Orientation Outreach.

She also noted how internationally oriented the University of Miami has been this past year, especially with events such as the Future of the Americas summit hosted in December, and the upcoming Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) that will make UM the first school to host the program twice.

Campus has also seen many renovations and openings, such as the new Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, opened in January, and the departments that relocated to the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

As long-term projects, the UHealth clinic is still underway and the Frost School of Music will be unveiling its recent construction by the Fall of 2015.

One platform that she ran on is coming into fruition in the upcoming weeks. Sebastian’s Closet will rent business clothing from the Toppel Career Center for students to have professional clothing for interviews.

Another platform, Plus One Scholars, was an idea from a previous SG administration, but it is finally available for students; the scholarship provides students a free year of tuition.

San Roman stressed the importance of the work that SG accomplishes to make student life better.

“Never fear to voice your opinion,” San Roman said.

Alina Zerpa

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...