News, Student Government

SG President gives ‘State of the U’ update

Alessandria San Roman

San Roman // File Photo

Gathered on the Rock by a crowd of students and administrators, Student Government (SG) President Alessandria San Roman presented her administration’s success this past year in the annual State of the U address.

San Roman acknowledged how students were more involved this year, noting that over 500 students participated in Orientation Outreach.

She also noted how internationally oriented the University of Miami has been this past year, especially with events such as the Future of the Americas summit hosted in December, and the upcoming Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) that will make UM the first school to host the program twice.

Campus has also seen many renovations and openings, such as the new Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, opened in January, and the departments that relocated to the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

As long-term projects, the UHealth clinic is still underway and the Frost School of Music will be unveiling its recent construction by the Fall of 2015.

One platform that she ran on is coming into fruition in the upcoming weeks. Sebastian’s Closet will rent business clothing from the Toppel Career Center for students to have professional clothing for interviews.

Another platform, Plus One Scholars, was an idea from a previous SG administration, but it is finally available for students; the scholarship provides students a free year of tuition.

San Roman stressed the importance of the work that SG accomplishes to make student life better.

“Never fear to voice your opinion,” San Roman said.

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...