News, Student Government

SG President gives ‘State of the U’ update

Alessandria San Roman

San Roman // File Photo

Gathered on the Rock by a crowd of students and administrators, Student Government (SG) President Alessandria San Roman presented her administration’s success this past year in the annual State of the U address.

San Roman acknowledged how students were more involved this year, noting that over 500 students participated in Orientation Outreach.

She also noted how internationally oriented the University of Miami has been this past year, especially with events such as the Future of the Americas summit hosted in December, and the upcoming Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) that will make UM the first school to host the program twice.

Campus has also seen many renovations and openings, such as the new Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, opened in January, and the departments that relocated to the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

As long-term projects, the UHealth clinic is still underway and the Frost School of Music will be unveiling its recent construction by the Fall of 2015.

One platform that she ran on is coming into fruition in the upcoming weeks. Sebastian’s Closet will rent business clothing from the Toppel Career Center for students to have professional clothing for interviews.

Another platform, Plus One Scholars, was an idea from a previous SG administration, but it is finally available for students; the scholarship provides students a free year of tuition.

San Roman stressed the importance of the work that SG accomplishes to make student life better.

“Never fear to voice your opinion,” San Roman said.

Alina Zerpa

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...