News, Student Government

SG President gives ‘State of the U’ update

Alessandria San Roman

San Roman // File Photo

Gathered on the Rock by a crowd of students and administrators, Student Government (SG) President Alessandria San Roman presented her administration’s success this past year in the annual State of the U address.

San Roman acknowledged how students were more involved this year, noting that over 500 students participated in Orientation Outreach.

She also noted how internationally oriented the University of Miami has been this past year, especially with events such as the Future of the Americas summit hosted in December, and the upcoming Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) that will make UM the first school to host the program twice.

Campus has also seen many renovations and openings, such as the new Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, opened in January, and the departments that relocated to the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

As long-term projects, the UHealth clinic is still underway and the Frost School of Music will be unveiling its recent construction by the Fall of 2015.

One platform that she ran on is coming into fruition in the upcoming weeks. Sebastian’s Closet will rent business clothing from the Toppel Career Center for students to have professional clothing for interviews.

Another platform, Plus One Scholars, was an idea from a previous SG administration, but it is finally available for students; the scholarship provides students a free year of tuition.

San Roman stressed the importance of the work that SG accomplishes to make student life better.

“Never fear to voice your opinion,” San Roman said.

Alina Zerpa

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas