News, Student Government

SG President gives ‘State of the U’ update

Alessandria San Roman

San Roman // File Photo

Gathered on the Rock by a crowd of students and administrators, Student Government (SG) President Alessandria San Roman presented her administration’s success this past year in the annual State of the U address.

San Roman acknowledged how students were more involved this year, noting that over 500 students participated in Orientation Outreach.

She also noted how internationally oriented the University of Miami has been this past year, especially with events such as the Future of the Americas summit hosted in December, and the upcoming Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) that will make UM the first school to host the program twice.

Campus has also seen many renovations and openings, such as the new Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, opened in January, and the departments that relocated to the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

As long-term projects, the UHealth clinic is still underway and the Frost School of Music will be unveiling its recent construction by the Fall of 2015.

One platform that she ran on is coming into fruition in the upcoming weeks. Sebastian’s Closet will rent business clothing from the Toppel Career Center for students to have professional clothing for interviews.

Another platform, Plus One Scholars, was an idea from a previous SG administration, but it is finally available for students; the scholarship provides students a free year of tuition.

San Roman stressed the importance of the work that SG accomplishes to make student life better.

“Never fear to voice your opinion,” San Roman said.

Alina Zerpa

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...