Copy Edit, Sports, Tennis

Tough matches, lessons learned

After 11 consecutive appearances in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the Miami women’s tennis team is bound to stumble once in a while.

Facing some of the best teams in the country, including top-ranked UCLA, No. 7 Alabama and No. 3 UNC, the No. 12 Hurricanes hung tough in a talent-packed weekend that included five ACC teams.

On the first day of competition, the Hurricanes hit the ground running. They ousted Alabama, a top-10 team, in a decisive 4-1 victory.

Monique Albuquerque secured the most memorable win of the day. After winning her first set 6-2, she dropped her second set 2-6 and was falling behind, 1-4, in the third set, but rallied for five games to pull out the three-set victory.

In doubles play, Miami and Alabama split matches, and freshman duo Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang took home a tiebreak win.

The rest of the weekend proved difficult for the Hurricanes, who fell to the Tar Heels 4-1, in the quarterfinals. Doubles yet again came down to Lohan – Zhang freshman duo, who led 6-5 but fell in a tiebreaker, 8-6.

Miami lost all of its singles matches, thus being eliminated, but played in consolation matches the next day.

“[They] were just too good for us today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “We weren’t able to implement game plans the way we needed to. We need to put this match behind us and get ready for another big battle.”

On Sunday, the last day of competition for the Hurricanes, UCLA swept Miami 4-0. Against the No. 1 Bruins, Miami’s only win of the day was the No. 15-ranked due of Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulling out a 6-2 win.

The No. 8-ranked Miami team of Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite narrowly lost to the top-ranked ULCA team 7-6. Apart from this weekend, Miami is 2-0 this season and swept both matches.

“We are definitely a better team coming out of this tournament then we were coming in,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Having played number one, four and seven in the nation on the weekend just makes a team stronger. We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

Alexa Pappas

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...