Copy Edit, Sports, Tennis

Tough matches, lessons learned

After 11 consecutive appearances in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the Miami women’s tennis team is bound to stumble once in a while.

Facing some of the best teams in the country, including top-ranked UCLA, No. 7 Alabama and No. 3 UNC, the No. 12 Hurricanes hung tough in a talent-packed weekend that included five ACC teams.

On the first day of competition, the Hurricanes hit the ground running. They ousted Alabama, a top-10 team, in a decisive 4-1 victory.

Monique Albuquerque secured the most memorable win of the day. After winning her first set 6-2, she dropped her second set 2-6 and was falling behind, 1-4, in the third set, but rallied for five games to pull out the three-set victory.

In doubles play, Miami and Alabama split matches, and freshman duo Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang took home a tiebreak win.

The rest of the weekend proved difficult for the Hurricanes, who fell to the Tar Heels 4-1, in the quarterfinals. Doubles yet again came down to Lohan – Zhang freshman duo, who led 6-5 but fell in a tiebreaker, 8-6.

Miami lost all of its singles matches, thus being eliminated, but played in consolation matches the next day.

“[They] were just too good for us today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “We weren’t able to implement game plans the way we needed to. We need to put this match behind us and get ready for another big battle.”

On Sunday, the last day of competition for the Hurricanes, UCLA swept Miami 4-0. Against the No. 1 Bruins, Miami’s only win of the day was the No. 15-ranked due of Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulling out a 6-2 win.

The No. 8-ranked Miami team of Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite narrowly lost to the top-ranked ULCA team 7-6. Apart from this weekend, Miami is 2-0 this season and swept both matches.

“We are definitely a better team coming out of this tournament then we were coming in,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Having played number one, four and seven in the nation on the weekend just makes a team stronger. We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

Alexa Pappas

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...