Copy Edit, Sports, Tennis

Tough matches, lessons learned

After 11 consecutive appearances in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the Miami women’s tennis team is bound to stumble once in a while.

Facing some of the best teams in the country, including top-ranked UCLA, No. 7 Alabama and No. 3 UNC, the No. 12 Hurricanes hung tough in a talent-packed weekend that included five ACC teams.

On the first day of competition, the Hurricanes hit the ground running. They ousted Alabama, a top-10 team, in a decisive 4-1 victory.

Monique Albuquerque secured the most memorable win of the day. After winning her first set 6-2, she dropped her second set 2-6 and was falling behind, 1-4, in the third set, but rallied for five games to pull out the three-set victory.

In doubles play, Miami and Alabama split matches, and freshman duo Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang took home a tiebreak win.

The rest of the weekend proved difficult for the Hurricanes, who fell to the Tar Heels 4-1, in the quarterfinals. Doubles yet again came down to Lohan – Zhang freshman duo, who led 6-5 but fell in a tiebreaker, 8-6.

Miami lost all of its singles matches, thus being eliminated, but played in consolation matches the next day.

“[They] were just too good for us today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “We weren’t able to implement game plans the way we needed to. We need to put this match behind us and get ready for another big battle.”

On Sunday, the last day of competition for the Hurricanes, UCLA swept Miami 4-0. Against the No. 1 Bruins, Miami’s only win of the day was the No. 15-ranked due of Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulling out a 6-2 win.

The No. 8-ranked Miami team of Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite narrowly lost to the top-ranked ULCA team 7-6. Apart from this weekend, Miami is 2-0 this season and swept both matches.

“We are definitely a better team coming out of this tournament then we were coming in,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Having played number one, four and seven in the nation on the weekend just makes a team stronger. We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

Alexa Pappas

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...