Edge, Music, Reviews

Steamy soundtracks star big names

Whether you’re excited for “Fifty Shades of Grey” to come out in theaters or judge those who have read the books, it doesn’t matter: the soundtrack is shamelessly incredible and deserves an award for telling a story better than the book and the movie combined.

The 15-track album features big names such as Beyoncé, The Weeknd, Annie Lennox and the Rolling Stones. It ranges from Ellie Goulding’s ready-for-radio pop anthem “Love Me Like You Do” to Sia’s slow-tempo ballad “Salted Wound.”

Overall, the album intertwines different aspects of love just in time for Valentine’s Day weekend and tells more personal stories than E.L. James could ever put together on paper.

R&B singer The Weeknd brings two songs to the forefront as sexual anthems. “Earned It” and “Where You Belong” both feature the singer’s famous vocals and heavy use of bass that make the songs as sensual as possible.

Following in the steps of The Weeknd, Beyoncé also has two tracks that spearhead the stereotypical image of “Fifty Shades.” “Haunted” highlights her breathy voice that can turn up the mood for any Valentine’s date. The remixed version of the 2003 hit “Crazy in Love” takes the singer’s love song into a journey of seduction. It’s difficult not to get goose bumps when the last line is a dragged out in an “uh oh” that leaves listener wanting to hit repeat.

For the romantic portion of the album, look no further than the classic “Witchcraft” by Frank Sinatra. The re-mastered song can make anyone want to find a date to dance with, whether it’s in a suit and tie or just twirling around in the living room. Sinatra’s smooth, timeless voice provides a classier take on love.

The album also reveals the complex nature of trusting someone, especially when it is easy to become accustomed to solitude. Skylar Grey’s “I Know You” is a piano and violin heavy anthem about taking a chance on someone because although they are “more than innocent,” they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Overall, despite any criticism “Fifty Shades of Grey” might have received, don’t forget to play this entire album while you’re getting ready to go out on Saturday night. Keep Sia’s advice from “Salted Wound” in mind: “give your heart, and say ‘come take it.’”

Alina Zerpa

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...