Edge, Music, Reviews

Steamy soundtracks star big names

Whether you’re excited for “Fifty Shades of Grey” to come out in theaters or judge those who have read the books, it doesn’t matter: the soundtrack is shamelessly incredible and deserves an award for telling a story better than the book and the movie combined.

The 15-track album features big names such as Beyoncé, The Weeknd, Annie Lennox and the Rolling Stones. It ranges from Ellie Goulding’s ready-for-radio pop anthem “Love Me Like You Do” to Sia’s slow-tempo ballad “Salted Wound.”

Overall, the album intertwines different aspects of love just in time for Valentine’s Day weekend and tells more personal stories than E.L. James could ever put together on paper.

R&B singer The Weeknd brings two songs to the forefront as sexual anthems. “Earned It” and “Where You Belong” both feature the singer’s famous vocals and heavy use of bass that make the songs as sensual as possible.

Following in the steps of The Weeknd, Beyoncé also has two tracks that spearhead the stereotypical image of “Fifty Shades.” “Haunted” highlights her breathy voice that can turn up the mood for any Valentine’s date. The remixed version of the 2003 hit “Crazy in Love” takes the singer’s love song into a journey of seduction. It’s difficult not to get goose bumps when the last line is a dragged out in an “uh oh” that leaves listener wanting to hit repeat.

For the romantic portion of the album, look no further than the classic “Witchcraft” by Frank Sinatra. The re-mastered song can make anyone want to find a date to dance with, whether it’s in a suit and tie or just twirling around in the living room. Sinatra’s smooth, timeless voice provides a classier take on love.

The album also reveals the complex nature of trusting someone, especially when it is easy to become accustomed to solitude. Skylar Grey’s “I Know You” is a piano and violin heavy anthem about taking a chance on someone because although they are “more than innocent,” they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Overall, despite any criticism “Fifty Shades of Grey” might have received, don’t forget to play this entire album while you’re getting ready to go out on Saturday night. Keep Sia’s advice from “Salted Wound” in mind: “give your heart, and say ‘come take it.’”

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...