Sports briefs 2/12

FOOTBALL

Miami Hurricanes football underwent coaching changes this week with the departure of Wide Receivers Coach and National Recruiting Coordinator Brennan Carroll and the addition of Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin.

Carroll will join his father, Pete Carroll, and staff as offensive assistant of the Seattle Seahawks. Carroll spent the four seasons with the Hurricanes with his first two seasons as the tight ends coach.

Melvin has 30 years of coaching experience with college, the Canadian Football League and the National Football League. He served as a defensive line coach for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Florida International University, Temple, the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots – just to name a few.

GOLF

The women’s golf team placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge Tuesday at  Eagle Creek Golf Course. They finished the tournament with a score of eight-over-par, 872.

Canes will be back home in full swing March 2 at the 2015 Hurricane Invitational held at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...