Sports briefs 2/12

FOOTBALL

Miami Hurricanes football underwent coaching changes this week with the departure of Wide Receivers Coach and National Recruiting Coordinator Brennan Carroll and the addition of Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin.

Carroll will join his father, Pete Carroll, and staff as offensive assistant of the Seattle Seahawks. Carroll spent the four seasons with the Hurricanes with his first two seasons as the tight ends coach.

Melvin has 30 years of coaching experience with college, the Canadian Football League and the National Football League. He served as a defensive line coach for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Florida International University, Temple, the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots – just to name a few.

GOLF

The women’s golf team placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge Tuesday at  Eagle Creek Golf Course. They finished the tournament with a score of eight-over-par, 872.

Canes will be back home in full swing March 2 at the 2015 Hurricane Invitational held at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...