Sports briefs 2/12

FOOTBALL

Miami Hurricanes football underwent coaching changes this week with the departure of Wide Receivers Coach and National Recruiting Coordinator Brennan Carroll and the addition of Defensive Line Coach Randy Melvin.

Carroll will join his father, Pete Carroll, and staff as offensive assistant of the Seattle Seahawks. Carroll spent the four seasons with the Hurricanes with his first two seasons as the tight ends coach.

Melvin has 30 years of coaching experience with college, the Canadian Football League and the National Football League. He served as a defensive line coach for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Florida International University, Temple, the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots – just to name a few.

GOLF

The women’s golf team placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge Tuesday at  Eagle Creek Golf Course. They finished the tournament with a score of eight-over-par, 872.

Canes will be back home in full swing March 2 at the 2015 Hurricane Invitational held at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...