Culture

Spending V-Day solo

Valentine’s Day can seem like a trap for the single person, but it doesn’t have to isolate singles. Here are some ways to celebrate your solitude and share time with your loved ones.

Be Adventurous

Not being in a relationship doesn’t mean life is boring. This is the best time to get out and find an adventurous side. Grab a group of single friends and go to Blue Mountain Outdoor Center, which offers activities such as mountain biking, stand-up paddle-boarding and kayaking. It’s a beautiful way to spend time with friends in the great outdoors. 3400 NE 163rd St., North Miami Beach, Fla. 33160.

If that’s not up to speed, try taking the adventure to SkyZone – an indoor trampoline park. Thrill-seekers will love bouncing, jumping and playing dodge ball with friends. Skip the butterflies in your tummy on a date, and go for the adrenaline rush. 5450 Northwest 82nd Ave., Miami, Fla. 33166.

Be Sappy

Indulge in the Valentine’s spirit with friends. Stop joking about having that movie marathon. Just do it. Although having a variety of genres will entertain a wider audience, it’s the perfect time to bust out all of the best romantic comedies. Richard Curtis, the screenwriter behind many of the best British rom-coms, is a safe choice with “About Time,” “Love Actually” and “Bridget Jones’s Diary.” Bust out the tissues and settle into some classic romantic movies: “Titanic,” “The Notebook” and “Roman Holiday.” These movies are sure to cause a few sniffles, but it’s okay – you’re with your friends and they’re not judging you.

Be a gal-pal

Take a page from the NBC’s hit comedy “Parks and Recreation” book and celebrate Galentine’s Day. Protagonist Leslie Knope knows it’s important to celebrate the fantastic women in life. (“Ovaries before brovaries,” right, ladies?) Though the characters celebrate the holiday on Feb. 13, feel free to celebrate Galentine’s Day on Feb. 14 with a hearty brunch at Greenstreet Cafe in the Grove. Trade Knope’s passion for waffles for a cinnamon roll pancake, and relax with a few gal pals. It’s a twist on a typical girl’s night out, which reinforces the strength of love between friends and makes everyone feel happy instead of alone. 3468 Main Highway, Coconut Grove, Fla. 33133.

Sirisha Gaddipati

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...