News Briefs 2/12

NEWS_PatRiley_SC

Pat Riley, former coach and current president of the of the Miami Heat, speaks to the UM community at Storer Auditorium Tuesday evening. Mike Fernandez, founder of a billion-dollar private equity firm, joined Riley for their discussion about excelling in sports, business and everyday life. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Law School discussion

In light of the 20th anniversary of the Guantanamo refugees litigation, The UM School of Law will host a panel of attorneys to discuss the 1994-95 case of CABA v. Christopher.

The case determined the rights of tens of thousands of Cuban rafters who fled Cuba during Fidel Castro’s regime. The event is free for students and the community, and wine and cheese will be provided at 5 p.m., followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16. The discussion will be in the Cuban Heritage Collection, located on the second floor of Richter Library. To RSVP, visit https://sites.google.com/a/g.law.miami.edu/richter-library-2nd-floor/.

Mike Fernandez and Alonzo Mourning

NBA Hall of Famer Alonzo Mourning and founder of MBF Healthcare Partners Mike Fernandez will be talking about their success, failure and why they believe children should get a good start in school and in life.

Copies of Fernandez’s new book, “Humbled by the Journey” will be available for sale. Its proceeds will go to The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation, a nonprofit to give health, education and nurturing for children up to five years old.

The talk will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at Temple Judea, located at 5500 Granada Blvd., Coral Gables. To reserve a free ticket, visit http://tinyurl.com/MourningFernandez.

miami center for aids

The Miami Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) is accepting applications for students who are interested in summer research awards.

The award is aimed at undergraduates and will award a stipend of $2,000 per student for a 10-week project taking place approximately June 1 to Aug. 7 on a specific project related to HIV/AIDS. At the end of the project, students will prepare a written report of their experience.

To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/CFARResearch or contact Melanie Weiss at m.weiss11@med.miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...