News Briefs 2/12

NEWS_PatRiley_SC

Pat Riley, former coach and current president of the of the Miami Heat, speaks to the UM community at Storer Auditorium Tuesday evening. Mike Fernandez, founder of a billion-dollar private equity firm, joined Riley for their discussion about excelling in sports, business and everyday life. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Law School discussion

In light of the 20th anniversary of the Guantanamo refugees litigation, The UM School of Law will host a panel of attorneys to discuss the 1994-95 case of CABA v. Christopher.

The case determined the rights of tens of thousands of Cuban rafters who fled Cuba during Fidel Castro’s regime. The event is free for students and the community, and wine and cheese will be provided at 5 p.m., followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16. The discussion will be in the Cuban Heritage Collection, located on the second floor of Richter Library. To RSVP, visit https://sites.google.com/a/g.law.miami.edu/richter-library-2nd-floor/.

Mike Fernandez and Alonzo Mourning

NBA Hall of Famer Alonzo Mourning and founder of MBF Healthcare Partners Mike Fernandez will be talking about their success, failure and why they believe children should get a good start in school and in life.

Copies of Fernandez’s new book, “Humbled by the Journey” will be available for sale. Its proceeds will go to The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation, a nonprofit to give health, education and nurturing for children up to five years old.

The talk will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at Temple Judea, located at 5500 Granada Blvd., Coral Gables. To reserve a free ticket, visit http://tinyurl.com/MourningFernandez.

miami center for aids

The Miami Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) is accepting applications for students who are interested in summer research awards.

The award is aimed at undergraduates and will award a stipend of $2,000 per student for a 10-week project taking place approximately June 1 to Aug. 7 on a specific project related to HIV/AIDS. At the end of the project, students will prepare a written report of their experience.

To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/CFARResearch or contact Melanie Weiss at m.weiss11@med.miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...