News Briefs 2/12

NEWS_PatRiley_SC

Pat Riley, former coach and current president of the of the Miami Heat, speaks to the UM community at Storer Auditorium Tuesday evening. Mike Fernandez, founder of a billion-dollar private equity firm, joined Riley for their discussion about excelling in sports, business and everyday life. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Law School discussion

In light of the 20th anniversary of the Guantanamo refugees litigation, The UM School of Law will host a panel of attorneys to discuss the 1994-95 case of CABA v. Christopher.

The case determined the rights of tens of thousands of Cuban rafters who fled Cuba during Fidel Castro’s regime. The event is free for students and the community, and wine and cheese will be provided at 5 p.m., followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16. The discussion will be in the Cuban Heritage Collection, located on the second floor of Richter Library. To RSVP, visit https://sites.google.com/a/g.law.miami.edu/richter-library-2nd-floor/.

Mike Fernandez and Alonzo Mourning

NBA Hall of Famer Alonzo Mourning and founder of MBF Healthcare Partners Mike Fernandez will be talking about their success, failure and why they believe children should get a good start in school and in life.

Copies of Fernandez’s new book, “Humbled by the Journey” will be available for sale. Its proceeds will go to The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation, a nonprofit to give health, education and nurturing for children up to five years old.

The talk will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at Temple Judea, located at 5500 Granada Blvd., Coral Gables. To reserve a free ticket, visit http://tinyurl.com/MourningFernandez.

miami center for aids

The Miami Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) is accepting applications for students who are interested in summer research awards.

The award is aimed at undergraduates and will award a stipend of $2,000 per student for a 10-week project taking place approximately June 1 to Aug. 7 on a specific project related to HIV/AIDS. At the end of the project, students will prepare a written report of their experience.

To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/CFARResearch or contact Melanie Weiss at m.weiss11@med.miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...