News Briefs 2/12

NEWS_PatRiley_SC

Pat Riley, former coach and current president of the of the Miami Heat, speaks to the UM community at Storer Auditorium Tuesday evening. Mike Fernandez, founder of a billion-dollar private equity firm, joined Riley for their discussion about excelling in sports, business and everyday life. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Law School discussion

In light of the 20th anniversary of the Guantanamo refugees litigation, The UM School of Law will host a panel of attorneys to discuss the 1994-95 case of CABA v. Christopher.

The case determined the rights of tens of thousands of Cuban rafters who fled Cuba during Fidel Castro’s regime. The event is free for students and the community, and wine and cheese will be provided at 5 p.m., followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16. The discussion will be in the Cuban Heritage Collection, located on the second floor of Richter Library. To RSVP, visit https://sites.google.com/a/g.law.miami.edu/richter-library-2nd-floor/.

Mike Fernandez and Alonzo Mourning

NBA Hall of Famer Alonzo Mourning and founder of MBF Healthcare Partners Mike Fernandez will be talking about their success, failure and why they believe children should get a good start in school and in life.

Copies of Fernandez’s new book, “Humbled by the Journey” will be available for sale. Its proceeds will go to The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation, a nonprofit to give health, education and nurturing for children up to five years old.

The talk will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at Temple Judea, located at 5500 Granada Blvd., Coral Gables. To reserve a free ticket, visit http://tinyurl.com/MourningFernandez.

miami center for aids

The Miami Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) is accepting applications for students who are interested in summer research awards.

The award is aimed at undergraduates and will award a stipend of $2,000 per student for a 10-week project taking place approximately June 1 to Aug. 7 on a specific project related to HIV/AIDS. At the end of the project, students will prepare a written report of their experience.

To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/CFARResearch or contact Melanie Weiss at m.weiss11@med.miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...