News Briefs 2/12

NEWS_PatRiley_SC

Pat Riley, former coach and current president of the of the Miami Heat, speaks to the UM community at Storer Auditorium Tuesday evening. Mike Fernandez, founder of a billion-dollar private equity firm, joined Riley for their discussion about excelling in sports, business and everyday life. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Law School discussion

In light of the 20th anniversary of the Guantanamo refugees litigation, The UM School of Law will host a panel of attorneys to discuss the 1994-95 case of CABA v. Christopher.

The case determined the rights of tens of thousands of Cuban rafters who fled Cuba during Fidel Castro’s regime. The event is free for students and the community, and wine and cheese will be provided at 5 p.m., followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16. The discussion will be in the Cuban Heritage Collection, located on the second floor of Richter Library. To RSVP, visit https://sites.google.com/a/g.law.miami.edu/richter-library-2nd-floor/.

Mike Fernandez and Alonzo Mourning

NBA Hall of Famer Alonzo Mourning and founder of MBF Healthcare Partners Mike Fernandez will be talking about their success, failure and why they believe children should get a good start in school and in life.

Copies of Fernandez’s new book, “Humbled by the Journey” will be available for sale. Its proceeds will go to The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation, a nonprofit to give health, education and nurturing for children up to five years old.

The talk will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at Temple Judea, located at 5500 Granada Blvd., Coral Gables. To reserve a free ticket, visit http://tinyurl.com/MourningFernandez.

miami center for aids

The Miami Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) is accepting applications for students who are interested in summer research awards.

The award is aimed at undergraduates and will award a stipend of $2,000 per student for a 10-week project taking place approximately June 1 to Aug. 7 on a specific project related to HIV/AIDS. At the end of the project, students will prepare a written report of their experience.

To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/CFARResearch or contact Melanie Weiss at m.weiss11@med.miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...