Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes’ Media Day fuels optimism

With a crowd of reporters huddled around pitcher Andrew Suarez, outfielder Willie Abreu pointed his bat-turned-recorder near the mouth of the pitcher to get his own sound bite.

Suarez spoke into the Gatorade cup that topped Abreu’s bat and answered a question about his team’s potent offense: “I actually love facing this lineup, especially Willie.”

The jokes and smiles at the University of Miami baseball team’s annual Media Day on Tuesday were indicative of the positivity the team holds as they prepare for the start of their new season Friday night against Rutgers.

Suarez surprisingly turned down more money than any other player in the draft to return for another season. A speedy freshman named Carl Chester excelled in fall practices and David Thompson enjoyed a healthy summer and fall after a scary injury kept him out of 32 games last spring.

“We’re excited about the club. We’ve got a unique combination,” Coach Jim Morris said. “Last year, we had the starting rotation that had been together. This year, we’ve got more position players back, so I expect to score more runs. There’s a different baseball, too, and that should be fun, because I think baseball was meant to score a few runs, not to be 1-0 every game, so I’m very excited about it.”

The new baseball with lower seams is expected to boost offense in its first season of use. The new ball and an enhanced lineup that includes National Freshman of the Year Zack Collins means expectations are high for Hurricanes offense.

“The strength of our offense is our power. We’ve got some guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark so, with the middle of the lineup, just one swing of the bat you can score more runs,” said Hitting Coach Gino DiMare. “You don’t have to work so hard to get a run now, so I think that can help us and benefit us especially with the new baseball.”

The returns of the injured Thompson and drafted Suarez were two of the most fortunate things on Tuesday.

“Me and Andy have played together since we were nine years old, so it’s been fun to grow up with him and play with him and against him my whole life,” Thompson said.

The team’s goal is clear – to make the College World Series in Omaha. They’ve even taken to shouting “Omaha” as a sort of rallying call.

“We do say Omaha a lot,” Collins said. “We haven’t been there since 2008 and it’s pretty much our main goal, all the fans want to see that.”

William Riggin

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...