‘Fifty Shades’ film turns down heat

As couples gear up for V-Day, the season’s sexiest blockbuster, “Fifty Shades of Grey,” has been attracting some lustful interest.

Fans of the books and “Fifty Shades” virgins alike are eagerly waiting to see this racy romance splashed across the screen. Lingering in the air is the question everyone wants answered: how far are they willing to go?

The reality is, not as far as E.L. James fans might have been hoping. In fact, the steamy scenes round in at around 20 minutes, according to a report in The Atlantic.

Another disappointment for James’ enthusiasts: an article in the Miami New Times reports that the infamous “inner goddess” who preens across the pages has been cut from the flick, eliminating the split personality. (The New Times, for one, seems to think this will vastly increase the film’s quality.)

Despite the breaks with what some see as a sub-par work of fiction, the movie does have its perks. The first pull, at least for the ladies, is clearly Jamie Dornan, who smolders as the edgy, dangerous Christian Grey. His cold, calculating performance is bound to leave viewers wishing he would bring his handcuffs to their house. Is there a count for how many minutes he spends shirtless?

His leading lady, timid and sheltered (at first) Anastasia Steele, is played by Dakota Johnson, who is already getting buzz for breathing life into this one-dimensional Bella-knockoff. At least she provides a nice view for all the boyfriends who will inevitably be dragged to this sexy rom-com on date night.

If you get bored by whips and chains (or the inevitable lack of plot), check out the movie’s soundtrack, featuring big names ranging from Beyoncé and Ellie Goulding to the Rolling Stones and Frank Sinatra. We’ve already heard the sexy hypnotizing remix of “Crazy in Love” that rocked our worlds during the movie’s earliest previews; you can expect the rest of the CD to follow suit.

Whether the movie flops or gets your heart racing, one thing seems certain. Like “Twilight,” this flick breaks away from the adage “the book is always better than the movie.” For these stories, the soundtracks are better than both.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...