‘Fifty Shades’ film turns down heat

As couples gear up for V-Day, the season’s sexiest blockbuster, “Fifty Shades of Grey,” has been attracting some lustful interest.

Fans of the books and “Fifty Shades” virgins alike are eagerly waiting to see this racy romance splashed across the screen. Lingering in the air is the question everyone wants answered: how far are they willing to go?

The reality is, not as far as E.L. James fans might have been hoping. In fact, the steamy scenes round in at around 20 minutes, according to a report in The Atlantic.

Another disappointment for James’ enthusiasts: an article in the Miami New Times reports that the infamous “inner goddess” who preens across the pages has been cut from the flick, eliminating the split personality. (The New Times, for one, seems to think this will vastly increase the film’s quality.)

Despite the breaks with what some see as a sub-par work of fiction, the movie does have its perks. The first pull, at least for the ladies, is clearly Jamie Dornan, who smolders as the edgy, dangerous Christian Grey. His cold, calculating performance is bound to leave viewers wishing he would bring his handcuffs to their house. Is there a count for how many minutes he spends shirtless?

His leading lady, timid and sheltered (at first) Anastasia Steele, is played by Dakota Johnson, who is already getting buzz for breathing life into this one-dimensional Bella-knockoff. At least she provides a nice view for all the boyfriends who will inevitably be dragged to this sexy rom-com on date night.

If you get bored by whips and chains (or the inevitable lack of plot), check out the movie’s soundtrack, featuring big names ranging from Beyoncé and Ellie Goulding to the Rolling Stones and Frank Sinatra. We’ve already heard the sexy hypnotizing remix of “Crazy in Love” that rocked our worlds during the movie’s earliest previews; you can expect the rest of the CD to follow suit.

Whether the movie flops or gets your heart racing, one thing seems certain. Like “Twilight,” this flick breaks away from the adage “the book is always better than the movie.” For these stories, the soundtracks are better than both.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...