Edge, Food

Dessert Wars contest ends on a sweet note

Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

They say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but that’s an alarmingly sexist saying for the twenty-first century world. If the crowd at Sunday’s “Dessert Wars” competition at the BankUnited Center was any indication, women love to stuff their faces just as much as their male counterparts. Who could resist when presented with such a delectable display of desserts?

Upon arrival, attendees were presented with an ample supply of tickets to exchange for samples and a ballot to rank all the vendors on a scale of one to three. At the end of the afternoon, the votes were tallied and the competitor with the highest total claimed the title of Miami’s best dessert.

The eventual winner was Casa Gioia, whose chef, Mari Angeles Rubio, describes her creations as “classical desserts made with a fusion of international flavors and a touch of home.” The catering service brought an eclectic assortment of baked goods, ranging from guava bites to zucchini bread to sea salt caramel brownies.

Runner-up Donut Divas cooked up their own spin on a carnival staple with deep-fried red velvet Oreos. Red velvet was one of the most popular flavors of the day; fourth place finisher A Little R&R Bakery wooed the crowd with red velvet surprise cupcakes, topped with an adorable heart design and stuffed with a Hershey kiss.

Rounding out the top five was second runner up Jessi Bakes, who found the perfect yin-yang balance of sweets with light tropical cake and decadent chocolate peppermint truffles. The fifth place finisher, unReal Food, might be considered an unlikely commendee in such a field, as the business specializes in gluten-free, organic baked goods, but one taste of their s’mores or green tea-lemon cupcakes banished any fears of cardboard health food.

Outside of the winner’s circle were many delicious entrants whose confections enticed many attendees back for seconds (or thirds.) Among these crave-worthy castoffs were hazelnut baklava from Baklava Coffee, donut sundaes with cinnamon toast crunch ice cream from Liquid Ice Cream, Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownie Bites from Pattycakes, and maple bacon Rice Krispie treats from Krispie Creations.

Another highlight of the afternoon was the pie-eating contest, in which six volunteers attempted to eat a whole vanilla cream pie, provided by the Good Pie Company, as fast as they could without using their hands. After an hour and a half of sample after sample after sample, watching the contestants literally dive in face first and pig out was the perfect cathartic experience.

For two hours on Sunday, the BankUnited Center was home to the highest concentration of sugar in all of Miami. Indulgence was the name of the game in this real-life version of Candy Land. After all, in the words of the afternoon’s announcer: your diet starts tomorrow.

Madelyn Paquette

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...