Basketball, Sports

Demon Deacons look to be winnable test for Hurricanes

The University of Miami men’s basketball team is heading to Winston-Salem, North Carolina this Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a key ACC road game for their tournament resume. They are taking on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

The Hurricanes (15-8, 5-5 ACC) garnered a much-needed win for their tournament hopes last Sunday evening with a victory over Clemson, now finding themselves one of the “last four in,” part of ESPN Joe Lundardi’s Bracketology.

“We need to win this game. And after that, we need to win the next game,” said head coach Jim Larrañaga on Monday.

The Hurricanes are running out of time to build a tournament-worthy resume, yet they have some interesting components.

Miami has an enormous win against Duke on the road, but has also lost to ACC bottom-dweller Georgia Tech and a menagerie of subpar opponents.

Miami’s strength of schedule (48) and RPI (54) are middling. A loss to the Demon Deacons could burst Miami’s bubble.

Meanwhile, Wake Forest (11-13, 3-8 ACC) presents an interesting but winnable test for the Hurricanes. Wake Forest guard Madison Jones leads the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio, and junior guard Codi Miller-McIntyre is 11th in the league in points per game. The Demon Deacons are just 2-5 in their last seven games.

Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan is hitting more than 51 percent of his field goal attempts, a mark that is the top shooting percentage for a guard in Power Five conferences. On Sunday, McClellan scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting against Clemson.

Mark Poulose

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...