Basketball, Sports

Demon Deacons look to be winnable test for Hurricanes

The University of Miami men’s basketball team is heading to Winston-Salem, North Carolina this Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a key ACC road game for their tournament resume. They are taking on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

The Hurricanes (15-8, 5-5 ACC) garnered a much-needed win for their tournament hopes last Sunday evening with a victory over Clemson, now finding themselves one of the “last four in,” part of ESPN Joe Lundardi’s Bracketology.

“We need to win this game. And after that, we need to win the next game,” said head coach Jim Larrañaga on Monday.

The Hurricanes are running out of time to build a tournament-worthy resume, yet they have some interesting components.

Miami has an enormous win against Duke on the road, but has also lost to ACC bottom-dweller Georgia Tech and a menagerie of subpar opponents.

Miami’s strength of schedule (48) and RPI (54) are middling. A loss to the Demon Deacons could burst Miami’s bubble.

Meanwhile, Wake Forest (11-13, 3-8 ACC) presents an interesting but winnable test for the Hurricanes. Wake Forest guard Madison Jones leads the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio, and junior guard Codi Miller-McIntyre is 11th in the league in points per game. The Demon Deacons are just 2-5 in their last seven games.

Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan is hitting more than 51 percent of his field goal attempts, a mark that is the top shooting percentage for a guard in Power Five conferences. On Sunday, McClellan scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting against Clemson.

Mark Poulose

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...