Basketball, Sports

Demon Deacons look to be winnable test for Hurricanes

The University of Miami men’s basketball team is heading to Winston-Salem, North Carolina this Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a key ACC road game for their tournament resume. They are taking on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

The Hurricanes (15-8, 5-5 ACC) garnered a much-needed win for their tournament hopes last Sunday evening with a victory over Clemson, now finding themselves one of the “last four in,” part of ESPN Joe Lundardi’s Bracketology.

“We need to win this game. And after that, we need to win the next game,” said head coach Jim Larrañaga on Monday.

The Hurricanes are running out of time to build a tournament-worthy resume, yet they have some interesting components.

Miami has an enormous win against Duke on the road, but has also lost to ACC bottom-dweller Georgia Tech and a menagerie of subpar opponents.

Miami’s strength of schedule (48) and RPI (54) are middling. A loss to the Demon Deacons could burst Miami’s bubble.

Meanwhile, Wake Forest (11-13, 3-8 ACC) presents an interesting but winnable test for the Hurricanes. Wake Forest guard Madison Jones leads the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio, and junior guard Codi Miller-McIntyre is 11th in the league in points per game. The Demon Deacons are just 2-5 in their last seven games.

Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan is hitting more than 51 percent of his field goal attempts, a mark that is the top shooting percentage for a guard in Power Five conferences. On Sunday, McClellan scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting against Clemson.

Mark Poulose

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...