Celebrate single status with ‘Galentine’s Day’

For a single woman, Valentine’s Day sucks. Watching couples celebrate their love for each other leads to a combination of nausea, depression, jealousy and cynicism – not an ideal mix for happiness. So this year, I’m proposing that instead of moping about Valentine’s Day, we celebrate Galentine’s Day.

Over the last few weeks of winter break and the first week of school, I binge watched “Parks and Recreation.” One of my favorite episodes of this hilarious, zany show is the season two episode “Galentine’s Day”. At the beginning of the episode, Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), the protagonist, introduces the holiday “Galentine’s Day.” Galentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day that celebrates female friendship. On this day, Leslie gathers her female friends for brunch, where they exchange gifts and drink Mimosas.

I realized how perfect it was as I watched Leslie Knope and her friends celebrate this holiday. Galentine’s Day turns a bad time for single women into something to look forward to, although you don’t have to be single to enjoy this holiday.

Last year, without realizing it, I celebrated this holiday with one of my closest friends. On Valentine’s Day, we grabbed dinner at Whisk, and then saw the wonderfully awful romance film “Endless Love.” We ate popcorn until our bellies ached  and laughed our way from the movie per se to the chagrin of the other patrons who tried to enjoy their romantic evenings. By spending time with my friends, I turned a traditionally awful day into one of my fondest memories.

So for this weekend, I’m suggesting Galentine’s Day on Friday, or even on Valentine’s Day. Take your friends out to brunch, go shopping, or go see Fifty Shades of Grey and find out why Jamie Dornan’s nickname in the modeling world was “The Golden Torso.”

Don’t brood about being single this Valentine’s Day. Have an amazing day with your friends and celebrate Galentine’s Day.

Rachel Berquist is a junior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Alessandro Valli.

Rachel Berquist

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...