Celebrate single status with ‘Galentine’s Day’

For a single woman, Valentine’s Day sucks. Watching couples celebrate their love for each other leads to a combination of nausea, depression, jealousy and cynicism – not an ideal mix for happiness. So this year, I’m proposing that instead of moping about Valentine’s Day, we celebrate Galentine’s Day.

Over the last few weeks of winter break and the first week of school, I binge watched “Parks and Recreation.” One of my favorite episodes of this hilarious, zany show is the season two episode “Galentine’s Day”. At the beginning of the episode, Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), the protagonist, introduces the holiday “Galentine’s Day.” Galentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day that celebrates female friendship. On this day, Leslie gathers her female friends for brunch, where they exchange gifts and drink Mimosas.

I realized how perfect it was as I watched Leslie Knope and her friends celebrate this holiday. Galentine’s Day turns a bad time for single women into something to look forward to, although you don’t have to be single to enjoy this holiday.

Last year, without realizing it, I celebrated this holiday with one of my closest friends. On Valentine’s Day, we grabbed dinner at Whisk, and then saw the wonderfully awful romance film “Endless Love.” We ate popcorn until our bellies ached  and laughed our way from the movie per se to the chagrin of the other patrons who tried to enjoy their romantic evenings. By spending time with my friends, I turned a traditionally awful day into one of my fondest memories.

So for this weekend, I’m suggesting Galentine’s Day on Friday, or even on Valentine’s Day. Take your friends out to brunch, go shopping, or go see Fifty Shades of Grey and find out why Jamie Dornan’s nickname in the modeling world was “The Golden Torso.”

Don’t brood about being single this Valentine’s Day. Have an amazing day with your friends and celebrate Galentine’s Day.

Rachel Berquist is a junior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Alessandro Valli.

Rachel Berquist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...