Football, Sports

Five Canes football players named All-ACC Academic

Five players from the Miami Hurricanes football team were selected for the 2014 All-ACC Academic Football Team announced Wednesday. Players were selected from a pool of 128 eligible ACC student-athletes nominated by their schools.

A student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career to be eligible.

Nantambu-Akil FentressNantambu Akil-Fentress

Fourth on the team in tackles this past season with 55.

Nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy – an award given to the nation’s top player, who began his career as a walk-on.

Senior Akil-Fentress majored in Biology.

Braxton BerriosBraxton Berrios

Began his 2014 rookie season finishing sixth on the team in receptions with 21.

He also tallied 232 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

Anthony ChickilloAnthony Chickillo

Ended his senior season with 41 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

He majored in Sport Administration.

Calvin HeurtelouCalvin Heurtelou

Started in 12 of the Canes’ 13 games in 2014.

He tallied 25 tackles and recorded 1.0 tackle for loss and is currently a junior majoring in Liberal Arts.

Justin Vogel Mug

Justin Vogel

As a sophomore he established himself as one of the top punters in the country.

Averaged 42.8 yards per punt and dropped 21 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Vogel was selected as a Ray Guy Award Semifinalist.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...