Football, Sports

Five Canes football players named All-ACC Academic

Five players from the Miami Hurricanes football team were selected for the 2014 All-ACC Academic Football Team announced Wednesday. Players were selected from a pool of 128 eligible ACC student-athletes nominated by their schools.

A student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career to be eligible.

Nantambu-Akil FentressNantambu Akil-Fentress

Fourth on the team in tackles this past season with 55.

Nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy – an award given to the nation’s top player, who began his career as a walk-on.

Senior Akil-Fentress majored in Biology.

Braxton BerriosBraxton Berrios

Began his 2014 rookie season finishing sixth on the team in receptions with 21.

He also tallied 232 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

Anthony ChickilloAnthony Chickillo

Ended his senior season with 41 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

He majored in Sport Administration.

Calvin HeurtelouCalvin Heurtelou

Started in 12 of the Canes’ 13 games in 2014.

He tallied 25 tackles and recorded 1.0 tackle for loss and is currently a junior majoring in Liberal Arts.

Justin Vogel Mug

Justin Vogel

As a sophomore he established himself as one of the top punters in the country.

Averaged 42.8 yards per punt and dropped 21 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Vogel was selected as a Ray Guy Award Semifinalist.

Courtney Fiorini

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...