Music, News

New app offers local event listings, ticket deals

Courtesy Thrillcall

Courtesy Thrillcall

The amount of things to do in a bustling, exciting city like Miami can be overwhelming. A newly launched phone application by Thrillcall.com seeks to address this problem. Originally created as a last-minute ticket sales website, Thrillcall.com now focuses on aggregating concert listings around the country on one platform.

Based in San Francisco, Calif., Thrillcall launched its mobile app nationally last week as a response to heavy mobile site traffic. This is also the first time that special Thrillcall offers have become available to Miami users. Thrillcall’s local giveaway partners include popular venues like LIV, Steam, Grand Central, Bardot and Story.

University of Miami alumna Amber Robertson, who graduated with majors in media management and political science in 2012, has been part of the marketing staff at Thrillcall since last December. During her time at UM, she also worked with music, serving as the general manager of the WVUM 90.5 radio station.

“An offer is usually a free ticket to a show,” Robertson said. “I think the big appeal about our app is that if you’re a student at UM, you could register and possibly get a free ticket to a place like LIV, which could be a bit pricey if you’re in college.”

Students can enter giveaway contests by downloading the free Thrillcall application on the Apple store or the Play store, registering an account and entering featured contests with a tap of a button.

The app’s interface is intuitive and user-friendly. Features include the ability to set a home location with a geographical radius for events, track favorite artists, find special offers, and sync outside music services like Spotify and Pandora to help the application recommend suitable artist performances.

Joel Garrett, a senior software engineer for Thrillcall developer WillowTree Apps Inc., said in a press release that the goal was to develop “the ultimate app for music fans and concert goers.”

Thrillcall does this by partnering with ticketing websites like Ticketmaster or Live Nation to automatically pull concert listings into the site’s database.

“I wish the app existed while I was [at UM],” Robertson said. “For kids who didn’t grow up in Miami and don’t know the scene very well, something like this could be a very useful tool.”

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.