Music, News

New app offers local event listings, ticket deals

Courtesy Thrillcall

Courtesy Thrillcall

The amount of things to do in a bustling, exciting city like Miami can be overwhelming. A newly launched phone application by Thrillcall.com seeks to address this problem. Originally created as a last-minute ticket sales website, Thrillcall.com now focuses on aggregating concert listings around the country on one platform.

Based in San Francisco, Calif., Thrillcall launched its mobile app nationally last week as a response to heavy mobile site traffic. This is also the first time that special Thrillcall offers have become available to Miami users. Thrillcall’s local giveaway partners include popular venues like LIV, Steam, Grand Central, Bardot and Story.

University of Miami alumna Amber Robertson, who graduated with majors in media management and political science in 2012, has been part of the marketing staff at Thrillcall since last December. During her time at UM, she also worked with music, serving as the general manager of the WVUM 90.5 radio station.

“An offer is usually a free ticket to a show,” Robertson said. “I think the big appeal about our app is that if you’re a student at UM, you could register and possibly get a free ticket to a place like LIV, which could be a bit pricey if you’re in college.”

Students can enter giveaway contests by downloading the free Thrillcall application on the Apple store or the Play store, registering an account and entering featured contests with a tap of a button.

The app’s interface is intuitive and user-friendly. Features include the ability to set a home location with a geographical radius for events, track favorite artists, find special offers, and sync outside music services like Spotify and Pandora to help the application recommend suitable artist performances.

Joel Garrett, a senior software engineer for Thrillcall developer WillowTree Apps Inc., said in a press release that the goal was to develop “the ultimate app for music fans and concert goers.”

Thrillcall does this by partnering with ticketing websites like Ticketmaster or Live Nation to automatically pull concert listings into the site’s database.

“I wish the app existed while I was [at UM],” Robertson said. “For kids who didn’t grow up in Miami and don’t know the scene very well, something like this could be a very useful tool.”

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...