Basketball, Sports

Miami Men’s Basketball ends three-game skid

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez attempts a jump shot during Sunday's game against Clemson. The Hurricanes won 56-45. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez attempts a jump shot during Sunday’s game against Clemson. The Hurricanes won 56-45. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes righted their ship following a three game losing streak, defeating the Clemson Tigers 54-45 Sunday evening at the BankUnited Center.

“There have been a lot of sad faces in the locker room the past couple of games. So this win was a sigh of relief,” junior guard Sheldon McClellan said.

The Hurricanes (15-8, 5-5 ACC) suddenly find their NCAA tournament hopes alive once again, albeit just barely. It will assuredly take more than 20 wins for Miami to reach the Big Dance, and with just eight games remaining before conference postseason play, it is almost essential Jim Larrañaga’s squad wins six games down the stretch.

Last week, Miami lost to No. 9 Louisville and rival Florida State. The week before, the Hurricanes lost to ACC doormat Georgia Tech in blowout fashion at home. Larrañaga’s team was very much at a crossroads entering Sunday’s game.

“Thursday, I sat down with the team and we discussed roles. I gave direction to each and everyone of them… I told Sheldon ‘You are our leading scorer and you need to be finding shots,’” Larrañaga said after the game.

McClellan responded with one of his best games of the season, scoring 19 points on 6-8 shooting. Senior center Tonye Jekiri scored six points and grabbed 16 rebounds for Miami.

Clemson (14-9, 6-5 ACC) entered Sunday’s contest on a four-game winning streak, and had won five of their last six. It has been a strong season for Clemson, who finished a poor 5-13 in conference play last year.

“They had won four in a row in the ACC, which is very hard to do,” McClellan said.

The Hurricanes found themselves down 25-24 at half after shooting a paltry 8-28 from the field. Freshman James Palmer, team captain Angel Rodriguez, and Jekiri combined to shoot just 1-14 in the half.

Miami, losers of three straight, decided enough was enough.

The Canes defense roared to life Sunday evening, holding the Tigers to just 45 points. Clemson shot only 33 percent from the field, and attempted only one free throw all game.

Sunday brought a pleasant crowd to the BUC, with the first 4,000 fans receiving Shane Larkin bobbleheads. The former Miami standout and current New York Knick was in attendance for the Hurricanes’ victory and talked to the team in the locker room after the game. Fellow Knicks Tim Hardaway, Jr., and Cleanthony Early accompanied Larkin on Sunday.

Next, Larrañaga’s team faces Wake Forest (11-13, 3-8 ACC). The Demon Deacons lost in blowout fashion at Georgia Tech (11-12, 2-9 ACC) on Saturday 73-59. ​

Mark Poulose

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...