Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes fall to No. 9 Florida State

Despite fighting its way back from an 11-point halftime deficit, the Miami Hurricanes fell on the road to a talented Florida State team, 80-60 at the Donald L. Tucker Center Sunday afternoon.

Miami (16-7, 6-4 ACC) was out-rebounded 53-30 for the game, leading to 24, second-chance points for the Seminoles. Florida State, (22-2, 9-1) the fourth best offensive rebounding team in the country, was led by Adut Bulgak, the former NJCAA Player of the Year, who went for 19 points and 17 rebounds on the afternoon.

“Well, they’re great and I think 80 points there at the end, I don’t think it was really 80 [in how the game went], but we went for the win. That’s what we’re going to do,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “So, I don’t care what the final score says, I know that we feel better about the way we played today than we felt in Thursday’s win.”

Meier was referencing Miami’s 42-39 win over Virginia Tech, in which both teams played sloppy and shot poorly from the field.

The Hurricanes used a 9-3 run going into the half to cut the lead down to five, and got the deficit to just a one point margin with 14:35 left to play. However, the Seminoles quickly responded, never losing the lead and quickly getting back to a double-digit advantage. FSU, who is having its best conference season in school history thus far, won their ninth straight ACC game, a program record.

Freshman Khaila Prather had one of her strongest games for Miami, setting a career high in rebounds with 10.

“She was relentless on the glass and didn’t get in foul trouble…KP rose up. She was great,” Meier said.

Adrienne Motley finished with 14 points, her 20th double digit game in 23 appearances this season.

Miami will hit the road again for a Thursday night matchup with Syracuse, before returning home for a Sunday afternoon tilt with Georgia Tech.

AJ Ricketts

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...