Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes fall to No. 9 Florida State

Despite fighting its way back from an 11-point halftime deficit, the Miami Hurricanes fell on the road to a talented Florida State team, 80-60 at the Donald L. Tucker Center Sunday afternoon.

Miami (16-7, 6-4 ACC) was out-rebounded 53-30 for the game, leading to 24, second-chance points for the Seminoles. Florida State, (22-2, 9-1) the fourth best offensive rebounding team in the country, was led by Adut Bulgak, the former NJCAA Player of the Year, who went for 19 points and 17 rebounds on the afternoon.

“Well, they’re great and I think 80 points there at the end, I don’t think it was really 80 [in how the game went], but we went for the win. That’s what we’re going to do,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “So, I don’t care what the final score says, I know that we feel better about the way we played today than we felt in Thursday’s win.”

Meier was referencing Miami’s 42-39 win over Virginia Tech, in which both teams played sloppy and shot poorly from the field.

The Hurricanes used a 9-3 run going into the half to cut the lead down to five, and got the deficit to just a one point margin with 14:35 left to play. However, the Seminoles quickly responded, never losing the lead and quickly getting back to a double-digit advantage. FSU, who is having its best conference season in school history thus far, won their ninth straight ACC game, a program record.

Freshman Khaila Prather had one of her strongest games for Miami, setting a career high in rebounds with 10.

“She was relentless on the glass and didn’t get in foul trouble…KP rose up. She was great,” Meier said.

Adrienne Motley finished with 14 points, her 20th double digit game in 23 appearances this season.

Miami will hit the road again for a Thursday night matchup with Syracuse, before returning home for a Sunday afternoon tilt with Georgia Tech.

AJ Ricketts

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...