News, Student Government

Campaigns present plans for campus improvement

NEWS_graphic

Ticket: For U

STUDENT GOVERNMENT_ For U

Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Goal: “For us, we knew that we wanted to run together because we had the same vision for this school, which is to help students find their passions and help create the best university possible.” – Brianna Hathaway

Candidates

Brianna Hathaway – President

Year: Junior

Major: Economics and political science

Minor: Spanish, business administration and business law

SG Involvement: Involved since freshman year, Speaker Pro Tempore in fall 2014, and Speaker of Senate this spring semester

Ishtpreet Singh – Vice President

Year: Junior

Major: Biology, political science, economics

Minor: Chemistry, health sector management, business administration

SG Involvement: Speaker Pro Tempore for Senate and representative for College of Arts and Sciences since September 2013

Robert Renfro – Treasurer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Human and social development

Minor: Business minor

Involvement: Sophomore delegate on SAFAC, chair for Canes After Dark, treasurer for Miami Ballroom

Platforms

Gender-Neutral Environment

Since Miami has a diverse population and a large LGTBQ community, gender-neutral areas would be expanded in Richter Library, University Center bathrooms, Mahoney-Pearson Residential College and Eaton Residential Hall.

Food Options 24/7

With the 24/7 study lounge, food options should also be provided. An option would be available from 7  a.m. to 3 a.m. the following day.

Shuttle stop expansion

A shuttle would be extended to reach the back areas of the campus, such as Panhellenic Association, School of Nursing and Health Sciences and School of Communication school.

Senior President’s Picnic

Much like the freshman picnic at President Shalala’s house, a senior picnic would be held for those who successfully finish their undergraduate career at UM.

Being a Greener U

Although there is a greenhouse area behind Hecht, giving it more attention would promote an environmentally-friendly campus and give students a chance to learn how to take care of vegetation. To be even greener, the concept of “energy floors” would be installed in the SAC stairs. These floors would emit energy to power the lights in the building so when students walk on the stairs, they would also be powering their environment.

Ticket: Upgrade

STUDENT GOVERNMENT_ upgrade

Goal: “We just want to upgrade all aspects of campus to make life better for students.” – Reem Najjar

Candidates

David Storch – President

Year: Junior

Major: Finance and accounting

Involvement: Executive board for Sigma Alpha Epsilon and SAE’s inner circle

Reem Najjar – Vice-President

Year: Junior

Major: Architecture

Minor: Economics

SG Involvement: Director of Recruitment for Delta Gamma and executive board for architectural academic fraternity Alpha Rho Chi

George Spohr – Treasurer

Year: Junior

Major: Accounting and finance

SG Involvement: Teaching Assistant for an introductory business course and Beta Alpha Psi, a finance honor society

Platforms

Sunday Brunch at Lime

Students can be motivated to stay on campus during the weekends with Sunday brunch offered at Lime. This would add diversity to activities on campus and let students enjoy brunch with a poolside view.

Swipe in with your smartphone

A QR code would be implemented in student’s smartphones as a supplement to their CaneCard. If students forgot their CaneCard for the Wellness Center or Richter Library, a  QR code would grant them entry.

Campus Life Amenities

For late-night movie nights, an on-campus Redbox would allow students to rent a movie and turn it in on the way to class the next day. Another ATM near the Whitten Learning Center would provide more accessibility for the high traffic that occurs in the area. A food truck carrying the famous milkshakes from the baseball game would give students more opportunities to enjoy the treat.

Athletic Events and Support

Athletes and students would have a better chance to get to know each other with a meet-and-greet event on the Green. This would give students incentive to go to the games and cheer on their new friends.

Chartwell’s Health Plans

For those who want to monitor nutritional intake andaccomplish physical and health goals, an enhanced MyFitnessPal could better track student’s progress. The app is a personalized Chartwell’s health app and would accurately tell students their caloric intake.

Alina Zerpa

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...