Edge, News, Profiles

Senior awarded screenwriting fellowship

Megan Rico-Writers Guild Initiative Collyer Fellowship Winner

Megan Rico

Megan Rico, a senior motion pictures major, was awarded the Writers Guild Initiative’s 2015 Michael Collyer Fellowship in Screenwriting, which recognizes a student who plans to pursue screenwriting after college.

Rico, who is the seventh student to win this prize since it began in 2009, will receive a $10,000 stipend to write an original screenplay under the mentorship of David Auburn, who wrote the screenplays for “The Lake House” and “Proof.”

Rico’s fellowship project titled “NED” is about Sam and her friend Alex who think they are going to have a boring summer until they find a severed arm floating in the water. Alex and Sam then become involved in a government conspiracy complete with casual grave-robbing and an old dad with a podcast.

“This comes as a complete surprise and I’m honored to have been given such an incredible opportunity,” she said in a press release.

Rico will accept the fellowship at the 67th annual Writers Guild Initiative Awards Saturday, Feb. 14 in New York City.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...