Edge, News, Profiles

Senior awarded screenwriting fellowship

Megan Rico-Writers Guild Initiative Collyer Fellowship Winner

Megan Rico

Megan Rico, a senior motion pictures major, was awarded the Writers Guild Initiative’s 2015 Michael Collyer Fellowship in Screenwriting, which recognizes a student who plans to pursue screenwriting after college.

Rico, who is the seventh student to win this prize since it began in 2009, will receive a $10,000 stipend to write an original screenplay under the mentorship of David Auburn, who wrote the screenplays for “The Lake House” and “Proof.”

Rico’s fellowship project titled “NED” is about Sam and her friend Alex who think they are going to have a boring summer until they find a severed arm floating in the water. Alex and Sam then become involved in a government conspiracy complete with casual grave-robbing and an old dad with a podcast.

“This comes as a complete surprise and I’m honored to have been given such an incredible opportunity,” she said in a press release.

Rico will accept the fellowship at the 67th annual Writers Guild Initiative Awards Saturday, Feb. 14 in New York City.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...