Edge, News, Profiles

Senior awarded screenwriting fellowship

Megan Rico-Writers Guild Initiative Collyer Fellowship Winner

Megan Rico

Megan Rico, a senior motion pictures major, was awarded the Writers Guild Initiative’s 2015 Michael Collyer Fellowship in Screenwriting, which recognizes a student who plans to pursue screenwriting after college.

Rico, who is the seventh student to win this prize since it began in 2009, will receive a $10,000 stipend to write an original screenplay under the mentorship of David Auburn, who wrote the screenplays for “The Lake House” and “Proof.”

Rico’s fellowship project titled “NED” is about Sam and her friend Alex who think they are going to have a boring summer until they find a severed arm floating in the water. Alex and Sam then become involved in a government conspiracy complete with casual grave-robbing and an old dad with a podcast.

“This comes as a complete surprise and I’m honored to have been given such an incredible opportunity,” she said in a press release.

Rico will accept the fellowship at the 67th annual Writers Guild Initiative Awards Saturday, Feb. 14 in New York City.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...