Edge, News, Profiles

Senior awarded screenwriting fellowship

Megan Rico-Writers Guild Initiative Collyer Fellowship Winner

Megan Rico

Megan Rico, a senior motion pictures major, was awarded the Writers Guild Initiative’s 2015 Michael Collyer Fellowship in Screenwriting, which recognizes a student who plans to pursue screenwriting after college.

Rico, who is the seventh student to win this prize since it began in 2009, will receive a $10,000 stipend to write an original screenplay under the mentorship of David Auburn, who wrote the screenplays for “The Lake House” and “Proof.”

Rico’s fellowship project titled “NED” is about Sam and her friend Alex who think they are going to have a boring summer until they find a severed arm floating in the water. Alex and Sam then become involved in a government conspiracy complete with casual grave-robbing and an old dad with a podcast.

“This comes as a complete surprise and I’m honored to have been given such an incredible opportunity,” she said in a press release.

Rico will accept the fellowship at the 67th annual Writers Guild Initiative Awards Saturday, Feb. 14 in New York City.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...