News Briefs 2/8

NEWSBRIEFS

Renowned photojournalist Maggie Steber, former School of Communication photojournalism professor, admires a chromogenic print “Vulcan Forges Cupid’s Arrows.” Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

State of the U

The annual State of the U address will take place to inform campus of what Student Government has done this past semester. Featuring Student Government President Alessandria San Roman, the event is free for the community and will began at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 on the Rock.

Homecoming Applications

Students are invited to be a part of the 2015 Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC), which is in charge of events that take place during Homecoming week, such as a blood drive, the Alma Mater competition and Hurricane Howl. Students interested must sign up for an interview in Student Activities Center (SAC) Suite 206. Applications will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 and can be found on https://orgsync.com/55254/chapter.

Wilson Shearin

University of Miami Assistant Professor of Classics Wilson Shearin will present his book “The Language of Atoms” featuring Lucretious’ poem “De rerum natura” (On the Nature of Things). Shearin will discuss the potential of language and its deceptive powers in light of the poem. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...