News Briefs 2/8

NEWSBRIEFS

Renowned photojournalist Maggie Steber, former School of Communication photojournalism professor, admires a chromogenic print “Vulcan Forges Cupid’s Arrows.” Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

State of the U

The annual State of the U address will take place to inform campus of what Student Government has done this past semester. Featuring Student Government President Alessandria San Roman, the event is free for the community and will began at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 on the Rock.

Homecoming Applications

Students are invited to be a part of the 2015 Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC), which is in charge of events that take place during Homecoming week, such as a blood drive, the Alma Mater competition and Hurricane Howl. Students interested must sign up for an interview in Student Activities Center (SAC) Suite 206. Applications will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 and can be found on https://orgsync.com/55254/chapter.

Wilson Shearin

University of Miami Assistant Professor of Classics Wilson Shearin will present his book “The Language of Atoms” featuring Lucretious’ poem “De rerum natura” (On the Nature of Things). Shearin will discuss the potential of language and its deceptive powers in light of the poem. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...