News Briefs 2/8

NEWSBRIEFS

Renowned photojournalist Maggie Steber, former School of Communication photojournalism professor, admires a chromogenic print “Vulcan Forges Cupid’s Arrows.” Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

State of the U

The annual State of the U address will take place to inform campus of what Student Government has done this past semester. Featuring Student Government President Alessandria San Roman, the event is free for the community and will began at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 on the Rock.

Homecoming Applications

Students are invited to be a part of the 2015 Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC), which is in charge of events that take place during Homecoming week, such as a blood drive, the Alma Mater competition and Hurricane Howl. Students interested must sign up for an interview in Student Activities Center (SAC) Suite 206. Applications will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 and can be found on https://orgsync.com/55254/chapter.

Wilson Shearin

University of Miami Assistant Professor of Classics Wilson Shearin will present his book “The Language of Atoms” featuring Lucretious’ poem “De rerum natura” (On the Nature of Things). Shearin will discuss the potential of language and its deceptive powers in light of the poem. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...