News Briefs 2/8

NEWSBRIEFS

Renowned photojournalist Maggie Steber, former School of Communication photojournalism professor, admires a chromogenic print “Vulcan Forges Cupid’s Arrows.” Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

State of the U

The annual State of the U address will take place to inform campus of what Student Government has done this past semester. Featuring Student Government President Alessandria San Roman, the event is free for the community and will began at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 on the Rock.

Homecoming Applications

Students are invited to be a part of the 2015 Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC), which is in charge of events that take place during Homecoming week, such as a blood drive, the Alma Mater competition and Hurricane Howl. Students interested must sign up for an interview in Student Activities Center (SAC) Suite 206. Applications will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 and can be found on https://orgsync.com/55254/chapter.

Wilson Shearin

University of Miami Assistant Professor of Classics Wilson Shearin will present his book “The Language of Atoms” featuring Lucretious’ poem “De rerum natura” (On the Nature of Things). Shearin will discuss the potential of language and its deceptive powers in light of the poem. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...