Academics, News

PhilADthropy combines charity, academics

Courtesy School of Communication via Facebook

Photo courtesy School of Communication via Facebook

Amir Whitaker founded Project Knucklehead in 2012 to help high-risk youth focus on educational and cultural experiences, decreasing crime and delinquency. His project was one of the 16 nonprofits in the 2015 PhilADthropy event held Friday through Saturday at the School of Communication (SoC).

PhilADthropy, one of SoC’s biggest annual events, gathers hundreds of students to help rebrand nonprofit organizations over 25 hours. This year, over 130 students, faculty, alumni and volunteers worked to restore the nonprofits’ public image, social media and advertising campaigns.

“When I saw some of the other nonprofits, like Habitat for Humanity, I was a little afraid, because we’ve only been around for a few years,” Whitaker said.

Whitaker applied to participate as a nonprofit in PhilADthropy in 2014, but was not among the accepted organizations. After seeing this year’s results, Whitaker said  the wait was worth the while.

“I knew that the students were going to do something big and still, I just expected to get a brochure and some changes to the website,” he said. “But we got a new design, a new logo, and the way they packaged up our organization and put it into a concise message inspired me because it reminded me of why I do this … to help kids.”

The event began in 2010 when Professor Meryl Blau and faculty in UM’s advertising program wanted to bring the experience of working with a nonprofit to students.

“The idea of a 25-hour overnight is not new for an agency,” Blau said. “But in terms of the magnitude and the scale that this was created, this is something that was unique and different and something that we can own as a school and be really proud of.”

According to Blau, the event’s sixth installment was extremely successful.

Returning participants like senior Jamie Santucci agreed that this year’s event brought the best out of all of the working teams. By the time the clock struck midnight, many of the groups could already see the main parts of their campaigns become tangible.

“I am working with Habitat for Humanity, and we are finishing some copy for their new ads and working on a new brochure, so we’re really excited to see it all come together,” Santucci said as her team neared 14 hours of work. “We’re ahead of schedule right now, and this is my fourth year doing PhilADthropy, and it’s the only time I’ve ever been able to say that.”

The teams’ hard work and dedication paid off when their clients were surprised with the transformations.
        “I was moved to tears,” said Phillip Rincon, resource developer at the Church World Service immigrant and refugee resettlement program in South Florida. “I was not expecting anything of this caliber. To see the stories of the people we work with in the ads and give them such respect and dignity, it really moved me.”

As the 2015 annual PhilADthropy came to a close, Blau also reflected on the many successes of this experience, discussing her vision for the future of the event.

“I hope that we can continue to grow and offer the program to not only the students that go here, but also alumni and more departments within the school of communication, and just make it bigger and better,” Blau said.

Sophie Barros

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...