Greek Life, News

Administrators address unauthorized ‘Pike’ fraternity activity

The University of Miami Division of Student Affairs sent an email to students Thursday regarding Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (Pike)’s unauthorized activity.

UM’s Gamma Omega chapter was suspended in 2012 by Pike’s national headquarters due to “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.” According to the message, the university has received reports that students previously associated with the fraternity have continued to operate as an organization under the name “Pike” despite suspension.

SEE ALSO: Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended from campus

“Students have communicated that they are displeased, upset, and fed up with this small group of students who demonstrate an apparent disregard for rules with which all recognized student organizations comply,” the email said.

The letter is signed by Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Director of Greek Life Steven Priepke.

“Allegations have included vandalism, disorderly conduct, unsupervised off campus parties, underage alcohol consumption, and hazing,” the email added. “There also have been alleged instances of other serious misconduct at off campus parties that have reportedly been hosted by ‘Pike.'”

The email also stated that the house built on San Amaro Drive belongs to Pike’s national headquarters and is not owned or supervised by the university. There was no mention on which group will be living in the house.

SEE ALSO: Pike house construction continues despite suspension

The administrators were explicit, saying that those who associated with the “underground” fraternity will not be accepted as official Greek Life members at UM.

“Male students who ‘rush’ or ‘pledge’ Pike are doing so outside of UM’s Office of Greek Life and their ‘membership’ will never be recognized by UM,” administrators wrote. “Those students will also never participate in any recognized program or activity in conjunction or partnership with any of UM’s fraternities or sororities.”

Pike was slated to return to campus in 2017, but in an article published by The Miami Hurricane, Hall said that the university has final say on whether or not the fraternity will return.

SEE ALSO: Pike fraternity may jeopardize chance of returning in 2017

“That return date is by no means set in stone and will certainly not be dictated by Pi Kappa Alpha,” he said. “So, if there is a belief by the university, or proof that Pike has continued to operate, they may never return to campus.”

To read the full letter, visit sarc.miami.edu/e-newsletters/student-affairs/message/February_2015.htm.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...