Administration, News

University to launch redesigned website

website redesign

Courtesy University of Miami

Navigating the University of Miami’s webpage may become a new and exciting experience in the coming weeks. A redesigned website will be launching either later this month or in early March.

Web and Digital Communications and Marketing, a team working in University Communications, got the opportunity to create a redesigned website about a year ago and has been hard at work trying to improve the university’s online software.

The team, headed by Robert Yunk, had four very specific goals in mind when the project began. These were to establish a more adequate primary tool to build and manage website content, publish and govern a library of global experience materials that can be used to design websites and other digital products, manage an inventory UM web sites and web people, and work with people in UMIT to strengthen hosting options and hosting standards.

Yunk also mentioned that students and faculty will see the biggest changes in the top-tier pages on the website. The website’s “front-door” was the team’s number one concern, as it had not been updated since 2008.

Although redesigning the website was a complex process, Yunk said it ultimately came down to information intake. Current students, prospective students, faculty, staff and alumni were all surveyed before the team started to redesign the website.

Yunk thinks this was crucial in creating a website that was best suited for everyone involved with the university.

“We reported [the information from surveys]monthly to an advisory group consisting of people who manage the primary sites linking from our homepage,” he said. “All of this intake has helped us a lot.”

Overall, the team believes that the redesign will help students, faculty and alumni navigate the website in a much simpler manner. All components of the website will be much more unified once the redesign is complete, and this should allow for more efficient use.

Yunk said the standard scheme throughout the site will “help anyone browsing the website feel more grounded,” as all sites and pages will appear the same regardless of the device being used to access the webpage.

Although huge strides have been made in the redesign of the webpage, Yunk insists that there is still more work to be done.

The team’s ultimate goal is to create a system that can assist all areas of the university in building and managing their own sites.

“I’m extremely proud of all we’ve done working as a team so far, but I’m really focused on continuing to strengthen and build,” Yunk said.

Anyone interested in joining other students working on the redesign team can email umcommunications@miami.edu.

Cody Brown

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...