Take pride in female friendships

We’ve all met this type of girl: while she sits drinking beer with a large group of guys, she casually mentions that she doesn’t have as many girl friends as guy friends. As girls ourselves, why do we champion platonic relationships with men but condemn friendships with members of our own sex? Why is a girl considered so much cooler when she has a lot of guy friends?

As women, we need to start respecting our sisterhood. When a girl brags that she has “more guy friends than girl friends,” we shouldn’t be impressed – we should feel sorry for her. Her belief that her friendship with men is somehow superior to that with women is insulting, because it insinuates that there is something fundamentally wrong with women.

Why is the friendship with guys better, is it because guys are better than women? I love my friends. They are my confidants, my partners in crime, my support system, and they are mostly women. I don’t think that is lame or pathetic … I think that it is awesome.

Let’s show society that female friendship isn’t filled with drama, competition and bitchiness, but with laughter, support and incredible conversations. Let’s admire the television, movies and media that have shown us these healthy relationships between women. Watch “Sex and the City” and admire how well the show represents true female friendship. As Charlotte says in one episode, “the women are each other’s soulmates, and men are just something fun on the side.”

Let’s change the conversation and make “sismance” as common as “bromance,” because it should be. Find a female friendship like Christina and Meredith, and find your best friend. When you see that girl at the bar bragging about her lack of girl friends, tell her how you think that hurts women.

Let her know that she’s only perpetuating bad stereotypes. Tell her you feel sorry that she hasn’t found her sisterhood yet. If you are the girl at the bar bragging about your guy friends, do your fellow ladies a favor and stop feeding this stereotype. 

You’re undermining all the incredible female friendships that we have. Also, do yourself a favor: find yourself a group of supportive, amazing sisters and be proud that you have mostly girl friends, because you might find that your girl friends are cooler than your guy friends.

Rachel Berquist is a junior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Vladimir Pustovit.

Rachel Berquist

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...