News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Bicycle racks, Category 5 raffles, Blue Light app

With the spring semester easing into February, Student Government (SG) has several events coming up to help get students more involved with organizations and activities on campus.

• The Academic Affairs committee is working on a program to help veterans transfer credits more easily and academically adjust into the University of Miami.
  • SG will be tabling for Greek Week and will create a suggestion box so students can ask Senate any questions or concerns they may have on campus. In addition, free food will available for all students.
  • “Find Your Senator” is an upcoming event that will feature senators wearing their orange polo so students can  put faces to the names of SG Senate. Those who are successful in finding their senators have a chance to win Beats headphones and gift cards.
  • The University Affairs committee is working on better to-go options in the dining halls and more bicycle racks will be installed within the next two weeks.
  • Category 5 will be hosting several raffles. Students will have a chance to win a GoPro at the women’s basketball game at 7 p.m. tomorrow against Virginia Tech in the Bank United Center (BUC). For the men’s basketball game against Clemson, three Yard House gift cards will be given out at the 6:30 p.m. game on Sunday, Feb. 8. Milkshake vouchers will be given out on the first baseball game of the season against Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 on the Alex Rodriguez Field.
  • On Feb. 18, SG will be tabling an event with UM Police Department to promote the mobile app Blue Light. the app helps smartphone users notify 911 faster than a phone call with the click of a button.
  • During Faculty Senate, President Donna E. Shalala announced there will be a short-term committee dedicated to hire more African-American professors.
  • Three organizations on campus were approved to receive co-sponsoring with SG for upcoming cultural events: Black Awareness Month (BAM), Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) and the Asian American Students Association (AASA).
  • A bill was approved that recommends more communication and transparency for administration regarding long-term university planning. As a result of the upcoming construction on campus, Senate wants the administration to include students in the planning.
  • A bill was passed for SG to help put on a “Be Smoke Free” week, along with COPE, Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) and Pier 21. The plan is to create a social marketing campaign with blue ribbons to raise awareness about the smoke-free policy on campus. Scheduled for the third week of March, the week will also promote resources on campus to help students quit smoking, keeping in mind the cultural diversity of Miami.

Alina Zerpa

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...