News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Bicycle racks, Category 5 raffles, Blue Light app

With the spring semester easing into February, Student Government (SG) has several events coming up to help get students more involved with organizations and activities on campus.

• The Academic Affairs committee is working on a program to help veterans transfer credits more easily and academically adjust into the University of Miami.
  • SG will be tabling for Greek Week and will create a suggestion box so students can ask Senate any questions or concerns they may have on campus. In addition, free food will available for all students.
  • “Find Your Senator” is an upcoming event that will feature senators wearing their orange polo so students can  put faces to the names of SG Senate. Those who are successful in finding their senators have a chance to win Beats headphones and gift cards.
  • The University Affairs committee is working on better to-go options in the dining halls and more bicycle racks will be installed within the next two weeks.
  • Category 5 will be hosting several raffles. Students will have a chance to win a GoPro at the women’s basketball game at 7 p.m. tomorrow against Virginia Tech in the Bank United Center (BUC). For the men’s basketball game against Clemson, three Yard House gift cards will be given out at the 6:30 p.m. game on Sunday, Feb. 8. Milkshake vouchers will be given out on the first baseball game of the season against Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 on the Alex Rodriguez Field.
  • On Feb. 18, SG will be tabling an event with UM Police Department to promote the mobile app Blue Light. the app helps smartphone users notify 911 faster than a phone call with the click of a button.
  • During Faculty Senate, President Donna E. Shalala announced there will be a short-term committee dedicated to hire more African-American professors.
  • Three organizations on campus were approved to receive co-sponsoring with SG for upcoming cultural events: Black Awareness Month (BAM), Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) and the Asian American Students Association (AASA).
  • A bill was approved that recommends more communication and transparency for administration regarding long-term university planning. As a result of the upcoming construction on campus, Senate wants the administration to include students in the planning.
  • A bill was passed for SG to help put on a “Be Smoke Free” week, along with COPE, Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) and Pier 21. The plan is to create a social marketing campaign with blue ribbons to raise awareness about the smoke-free policy on campus. Scheduled for the third week of March, the week will also promote resources on campus to help students quit smoking, keeping in mind the cultural diversity of Miami.

Alina Zerpa

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...