News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Bicycle racks, Category 5 raffles, Blue Light app

With the spring semester easing into February, Student Government (SG) has several events coming up to help get students more involved with organizations and activities on campus.

• The Academic Affairs committee is working on a program to help veterans transfer credits more easily and academically adjust into the University of Miami.
  • SG will be tabling for Greek Week and will create a suggestion box so students can ask Senate any questions or concerns they may have on campus. In addition, free food will available for all students.
  • “Find Your Senator” is an upcoming event that will feature senators wearing their orange polo so students can  put faces to the names of SG Senate. Those who are successful in finding their senators have a chance to win Beats headphones and gift cards.
  • The University Affairs committee is working on better to-go options in the dining halls and more bicycle racks will be installed within the next two weeks.
  • Category 5 will be hosting several raffles. Students will have a chance to win a GoPro at the women’s basketball game at 7 p.m. tomorrow against Virginia Tech in the Bank United Center (BUC). For the men’s basketball game against Clemson, three Yard House gift cards will be given out at the 6:30 p.m. game on Sunday, Feb. 8. Milkshake vouchers will be given out on the first baseball game of the season against Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13 on the Alex Rodriguez Field.
  • On Feb. 18, SG will be tabling an event with UM Police Department to promote the mobile app Blue Light. the app helps smartphone users notify 911 faster than a phone call with the click of a button.
  • During Faculty Senate, President Donna E. Shalala announced there will be a short-term committee dedicated to hire more African-American professors.
  • Three organizations on campus were approved to receive co-sponsoring with SG for upcoming cultural events: Black Awareness Month (BAM), Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) and the Asian American Students Association (AASA).
  • A bill was approved that recommends more communication and transparency for administration regarding long-term university planning. As a result of the upcoming construction on campus, Senate wants the administration to include students in the planning.
  • A bill was passed for SG to help put on a “Be Smoke Free” week, along with COPE, Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) and Pier 21. The plan is to create a social marketing campaign with blue ribbons to raise awareness about the smoke-free policy on campus. Scheduled for the third week of March, the week will also promote resources on campus to help students quit smoking, keeping in mind the cultural diversity of Miami.

Alina Zerpa

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...