Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre director retires

Henry Fonte // Courtesy University of Miami

In a memorandum sent to the Department of Theatre Arts, Professor Henry Fonte announced that he stepped down from his roles as the Producing Artistic Director of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and director of Conservatory Programs Wednesday.

After serving for five seasons at the Ring, Fonte will retire at the end of the spring 2015 semester to pursue independent projects.

During Fonte’s time at the university, Theatre Arts established significant collaborations with the Adrienne Arsht Center, FundArte and the Tectonic Theatre Project in producing “Carmen: an Afro-Cuban musical.”

Additionally, Fonte oversaw the modernization of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre operations and expanded UM’s Guest Artists Program, which brings artists to work alongside students in productions.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...