Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre director retires

Henry Fonte // Courtesy University of Miami

In a memorandum sent to the Department of Theatre Arts, Professor Henry Fonte announced that he stepped down from his roles as the Producing Artistic Director of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and director of Conservatory Programs Wednesday.

After serving for five seasons at the Ring, Fonte will retire at the end of the spring 2015 semester to pursue independent projects.

During Fonte’s time at the university, Theatre Arts established significant collaborations with the Adrienne Arsht Center, FundArte and the Tectonic Theatre Project in producing “Carmen: an Afro-Cuban musical.”

Additionally, Fonte oversaw the modernization of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre operations and expanded UM’s Guest Artists Program, which brings artists to work alongside students in productions.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...