Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre director retires

Henry Fonte // Courtesy University of Miami

In a memorandum sent to the Department of Theatre Arts, Professor Henry Fonte announced that he stepped down from his roles as the Producing Artistic Director of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and director of Conservatory Programs Wednesday.

After serving for five seasons at the Ring, Fonte will retire at the end of the spring 2015 semester to pursue independent projects.

During Fonte’s time at the university, Theatre Arts established significant collaborations with the Adrienne Arsht Center, FundArte and the Tectonic Theatre Project in producing “Carmen: an Afro-Cuban musical.”

Additionally, Fonte oversaw the modernization of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre operations and expanded UM’s Guest Artists Program, which brings artists to work alongside students in productions.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...