News Briefs 2/5

DCIM100MEDIA

Every week, on Thursday, TMH will highlight a Photo(s) of the Week showcasing the best work from our photography staff. This week we have two photos from Contributing Photographer Baron Alloway, taken from the sky above the University of Miami using a drone. Check themiamihurricane.com for future Photo(s) of the Week.

Sportsfest

A UM tradition since 1986, Sportsfest will feature a variety of contests for the different residential colleges on campus. The competition will begin at 3 p.m. with canoe races on Lake Osceola, followed by a torch run at 4:45 p.m., and opening ceremonies at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 6. Closing ceremonies will take place at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday Feb. 7 on the Intramural Fields. All events are free to students.

Cuban Studies Certificate Program

The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies’ will be holding its Cuban Studies Certificate Program for those interested in Cuba and its future. The program will involve classes for the two-week program from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., beginning on Feb. 9-19. UM students, staff and alumni receive a 20 percent discount on the $395 cost per person. The deadline to enroll is Friday, Feb. 6. For more information, contact Jennifer Hernandez at 305-284-5386 or j.hernandez35@miami.edu.

Yearbook Portraits

The Ibis Yearbook invites students to take their yearbook portrait if they “woke up flawless,” as suggested in their text message campaign. Portraits are free for underclassmen and graduate students and seniors can make their appointments at ibisyearbook.com for a $25 fee. Follow the sassy girl emoji to the second floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC) every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Friday, Feb. 13. Starting Monday, Feb. 16, students can find the emoji located on the first floor of the University Center (UC).

International Student Friend Day

University Christian Fellowship is hosting International Friend Day, giving students the opportunity to meet other international students on campus and have lunch together. The event is free to all students from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 8 in Eaton Dorm Classroom 148. To RSVP, message ucfintl@gmail.com by Thursday, Feb. 5.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...