News Briefs 2/5

DCIM100MEDIA

Every week, on Thursday, TMH will highlight a Photo(s) of the Week showcasing the best work from our photography staff. This week we have two photos from Contributing Photographer Baron Alloway, taken from the sky above the University of Miami using a drone. Check themiamihurricane.com for future Photo(s) of the Week.

Sportsfest

A UM tradition since 1986, Sportsfest will feature a variety of contests for the different residential colleges on campus. The competition will begin at 3 p.m. with canoe races on Lake Osceola, followed by a torch run at 4:45 p.m., and opening ceremonies at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 6. Closing ceremonies will take place at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday Feb. 7 on the Intramural Fields. All events are free to students.

Cuban Studies Certificate Program

The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies’ will be holding its Cuban Studies Certificate Program for those interested in Cuba and its future. The program will involve classes for the two-week program from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., beginning on Feb. 9-19. UM students, staff and alumni receive a 20 percent discount on the $395 cost per person. The deadline to enroll is Friday, Feb. 6. For more information, contact Jennifer Hernandez at 305-284-5386 or j.hernandez35@miami.edu.

Yearbook Portraits

The Ibis Yearbook invites students to take their yearbook portrait if they “woke up flawless,” as suggested in their text message campaign. Portraits are free for underclassmen and graduate students and seniors can make their appointments at ibisyearbook.com for a $25 fee. Follow the sassy girl emoji to the second floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC) every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Friday, Feb. 13. Starting Monday, Feb. 16, students can find the emoji located on the first floor of the University Center (UC).

International Student Friend Day

University Christian Fellowship is hosting International Friend Day, giving students the opportunity to meet other international students on campus and have lunch together. The event is free to all students from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 8 in Eaton Dorm Classroom 148. To RSVP, message ucfintl@gmail.com by Thursday, Feb. 5.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...