News Briefs 2/5

DCIM100MEDIA

Every week, on Thursday, TMH will highlight a Photo(s) of the Week showcasing the best work from our photography staff. This week we have two photos from Contributing Photographer Baron Alloway, taken from the sky above the University of Miami using a drone. Check themiamihurricane.com for future Photo(s) of the Week.

Sportsfest

A UM tradition since 1986, Sportsfest will feature a variety of contests for the different residential colleges on campus. The competition will begin at 3 p.m. with canoe races on Lake Osceola, followed by a torch run at 4:45 p.m., and opening ceremonies at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 6. Closing ceremonies will take place at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday Feb. 7 on the Intramural Fields. All events are free to students.

Cuban Studies Certificate Program

The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies’ will be holding its Cuban Studies Certificate Program for those interested in Cuba and its future. The program will involve classes for the two-week program from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., beginning on Feb. 9-19. UM students, staff and alumni receive a 20 percent discount on the $395 cost per person. The deadline to enroll is Friday, Feb. 6. For more information, contact Jennifer Hernandez at 305-284-5386 or j.hernandez35@miami.edu.

Yearbook Portraits

The Ibis Yearbook invites students to take their yearbook portrait if they “woke up flawless,” as suggested in their text message campaign. Portraits are free for underclassmen and graduate students and seniors can make their appointments at ibisyearbook.com for a $25 fee. Follow the sassy girl emoji to the second floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC) every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Friday, Feb. 13. Starting Monday, Feb. 16, students can find the emoji located on the first floor of the University Center (UC).

International Student Friend Day

University Christian Fellowship is hosting International Friend Day, giving students the opportunity to meet other international students on campus and have lunch together. The event is free to all students from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 8 in Eaton Dorm Classroom 148. To RSVP, message ucfintl@gmail.com by Thursday, Feb. 5.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...