Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus”

letter to the editorI was disappointed in the “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus” article in the Feb. 2 edition of the Miami Hurricane. I can tell that the author/illustrator tried to include some diversity among the culprits of these fashion crimes, but how about, ya know, some men? Women aren’t the only students who come to school underdressed, showing skin, etc. etc.

Although I’m sure it wasn’t Ms. Zerpa’s intention, but this type of scrutiny being applied solely to women contributes to the pervasive, harmful message that a young woman’s value as a person comes down to her appearance, while men are judged as complex individuals. Girls are under enormous pressure to convey a multitude of different messages to various people (guys, friends, professors, etc.) and are also given various conflicting advice from the media on how to achieve this.

Understandably, mistakes are sometimes made. Perhaps next time a better format would be “Tips for Dressing to Impress” instead of this more slut-shamey style of article.

Julie Brown is a graduate student at RSMAS.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...