Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus”

letter to the editorI was disappointed in the “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus” article in the Feb. 2 edition of the Miami Hurricane. I can tell that the author/illustrator tried to include some diversity among the culprits of these fashion crimes, but how about, ya know, some men? Women aren’t the only students who come to school underdressed, showing skin, etc. etc.

Although I’m sure it wasn’t Ms. Zerpa’s intention, but this type of scrutiny being applied solely to women contributes to the pervasive, harmful message that a young woman’s value as a person comes down to her appearance, while men are judged as complex individuals. Girls are under enormous pressure to convey a multitude of different messages to various people (guys, friends, professors, etc.) and are also given various conflicting advice from the media on how to achieve this.

Understandably, mistakes are sometimes made. Perhaps next time a better format would be “Tips for Dressing to Impress” instead of this more slut-shamey style of article.

Julie Brown is a graduate student at RSMAS.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...