Edge, Food

‘Dessert Wars’ stirs up delicious competition

cupake-01In most lists of food trends, one specific category leads the pack. From cupcakes to cronuts to deep-fried oreos, dessert is more than an occasional indulgence – it’s a cultural obsession. What better way to feed cravings than two hours entirely devoted to everyone’s favorite course?

This Sunday, the university will be hosting “Dessert Wars” at the BankUnited Center. The event is a competition among local businesses for the title of “Miami’s Best Confection.” More than 25 establishments will be represented, showcasing a tremendous variety of sweet treats. The menu for Sunday’s showdown includes donuts, whoopie pies, ice cream, cake and everything in between, which will be evaluated by a panel of local celebrity judges.

The Piping Gourmets will be one of the shops competing for sweet supremacy. The store was formed when co-founder Carolyn Shulevitz decided to come out with healthier, cleaner versions of classic American desserts. The Piping Gourmets will bring whoopee pies that are non-GMO verified, gluten-free certified, vegan and kosher. According to Shulevitz, they only use “pure” ingredients and do not include artificial coloring or flavoring.

“We have relatives and family members who are big supporters of the University of Miami, so we wanted to do all we could to whip it up,” said Shulevitz. “We’re sending two of our representatives to explain the nutrition facts and the things that make our brand stand out.”

Another competitor ready for the battle is Liquid Ice Cream, a shop that makes ice cream using liquid nitrogen, which allows the ice cream to freeze almost instantly. Owner Jose Carmona feels confident that being a dessert truck gives Liquid Ice Cream an advantage, and he looks forward to the event.

cookies-01“We’re still deciding between a couple of things,” he said. “We live in South Florida, and everyone loves flan, so that’s something that we’re thinking of doing, is a flan ice cream with cookie dough pieces inside, or our donut sundae, which is basically like a cronut … we also make a Cinnamon Toast Crunch-flavored ice cream.”

But the real winners here are the attendees. A ticket not only gains you access to the event, but to a smorgasbord of free samples, a milk bar and a dessert eating competition, not to mention a ticket to the Hurricane Basketball game against Clemson at 6:30 p.m. By the afternoon’s end, you won’t just have a sweet tooth, you’ll have a whole mouthful.

Madelyn Paquette

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...