Canes should shift focus to future

The University of Miami football team has faced its fair share of criticism these past few seasons, yet signing day has always served as a date that can return optimism to the program.

According to a composite recruitment ranking compiled by Rivals.com, UM enters this signing day at No. 26. Even with a rough season, this ranking is low for Miami standards. Last year’s signing class ranked at No. 12 and included only one five-star recruit.

The results of this year’s signing day should come as no surprise. For more than a decade, UM has had inconsistent seasons, and the team underwent an NCAA investigation that lasted about two years. It’s time to accept that the Hurricanes should no longer think of themselves as a football powerhouse with top recruits lining outside the door.

For starters, Miami has competition for recruits from other Florida universities and top Division I schools. Given the pull that schools like Florida State and the University of Florida may have, even for a program with the tradition of UM, bringing in top recruits is no longer a rite of passage. UM should look more toward its backyard for recruits who would like to stay close to home.

Recruits are also looking to attend a school where they will be most successful. If Miami continues with its lackluster performance on the field and on the sidelines, then the probability of winning another championship is unrealistic.

Let’s not get bogged down with the lack of a five-star recruits or whatever ranking Rivals.com gives the class. These elements only paint part of next season’s picture.

Coaches should develop the skills of the players we already have – the ones who want to be Canes. The personnel needs to support these recruits not only for the greater good of the team, but also for the players in whatever they choose to pursue after their time at the university.

As a program, UM should push forward and make the best of its new recruits. With good fortune, a successful 2015 campaign will aid continued progress for a top five 2016 recruiting class.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...