Canes should shift focus to future

The University of Miami football team has faced its fair share of criticism these past few seasons, yet signing day has always served as a date that can return optimism to the program.

According to a composite recruitment ranking compiled by Rivals.com, UM enters this signing day at No. 26. Even with a rough season, this ranking is low for Miami standards. Last year’s signing class ranked at No. 12 and included only one five-star recruit.

The results of this year’s signing day should come as no surprise. For more than a decade, UM has had inconsistent seasons, and the team underwent an NCAA investigation that lasted about two years. It’s time to accept that the Hurricanes should no longer think of themselves as a football powerhouse with top recruits lining outside the door.

For starters, Miami has competition for recruits from other Florida universities and top Division I schools. Given the pull that schools like Florida State and the University of Florida may have, even for a program with the tradition of UM, bringing in top recruits is no longer a rite of passage. UM should look more toward its backyard for recruits who would like to stay close to home.

Recruits are also looking to attend a school where they will be most successful. If Miami continues with its lackluster performance on the field and on the sidelines, then the probability of winning another championship is unrealistic.

Let’s not get bogged down with the lack of a five-star recruits or whatever ranking Rivals.com gives the class. These elements only paint part of next season’s picture.

Coaches should develop the skills of the players we already have – the ones who want to be Canes. The personnel needs to support these recruits not only for the greater good of the team, but also for the players in whatever they choose to pursue after their time at the university.

As a program, UM should push forward and make the best of its new recruits. With good fortune, a successful 2015 campaign will aid continued progress for a top five 2016 recruiting class.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...