Basketball, Sports

Canes drop third straight ACC game

Sophomore Davon Reed (No. 5) reaches over a Louisville defender while going for a layup during Tuesday night’s game at the BankUnited Center. The Canes were defeated by the Cardinals 55-69. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Despite nearly a career high performance from Davon Reed, the Miami Hurricanes ultimately could not contain Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell, as Miami dropped its third straight game, this time a 63-55 loss to Louisville Tuesday night.

The Canes (14-8, 4-5 ACC) trailed by as many as 13 in the first half, but slowly chipped away at that deficit, thanks in large part to Reed, who tied a career high with 19 points. Reed was 5-5 from beyond the arc at one point, and Miami cut the lead to as little as three points, twice.

“I thought we had ’em,” Reed said post game. “That’s what I think every time we don’t get a ‘W.'”

But Louisville, (19-3, 7-2) was simply too long and sharp defensively, while their shooting game was uncharacteristically accurate in the first half. The Cardinals, who struggle from the field, shot over 60 percent in the the half, helping them jump out to a big lead.

“We’re on a rollercoaster.” head coach Jim Larrañaga said after the game. It certainly has been that type of season for the Canes. Miami has accomplished a great amount this season – wins at No. 8 Florida, at No. 4 Duke, and at Syracuse, but has now dropped three straight, including a 20 point loss to Georgia Tech, and a heartbreaker to Florida State.

Angel Rodriguez’s struggles continued, as he was just 2-9 from the field, making his tally over the past six games 10-57.

“I’m going to be talking to him as soon as this press conference is over.” Larrañaga said.

Sheldon McClellan was not a factor either, only taking five shots. Tonye Jekiri was back to his usual and impressive statline, recording a double double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

After two games in three days, Miami will have more of a breather before hosting its next game, a Sunday evening contest with Clemson at the BankUnited Center. Shane Larkin bobbleheads will be given away by athletics at the game.

AJ Ricketts

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...