Basketball, Sports

Canes drop third straight ACC game

Sophomore Davon Reed (No. 5) reaches over a Louisville defender while going for a layup during Tuesday night’s game at the BankUnited Center. The Canes were defeated by the Cardinals 55-69. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Despite nearly a career high performance from Davon Reed, the Miami Hurricanes ultimately could not contain Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell, as Miami dropped its third straight game, this time a 63-55 loss to Louisville Tuesday night.

The Canes (14-8, 4-5 ACC) trailed by as many as 13 in the first half, but slowly chipped away at that deficit, thanks in large part to Reed, who tied a career high with 19 points. Reed was 5-5 from beyond the arc at one point, and Miami cut the lead to as little as three points, twice.

“I thought we had ’em,” Reed said post game. “That’s what I think every time we don’t get a ‘W.'”

But Louisville, (19-3, 7-2) was simply too long and sharp defensively, while their shooting game was uncharacteristically accurate in the first half. The Cardinals, who struggle from the field, shot over 60 percent in the the half, helping them jump out to a big lead.

“We’re on a rollercoaster.” head coach Jim Larrañaga said after the game. It certainly has been that type of season for the Canes. Miami has accomplished a great amount this season – wins at No. 8 Florida, at No. 4 Duke, and at Syracuse, but has now dropped three straight, including a 20 point loss to Georgia Tech, and a heartbreaker to Florida State.

Angel Rodriguez’s struggles continued, as he was just 2-9 from the field, making his tally over the past six games 10-57.

“I’m going to be talking to him as soon as this press conference is over.” Larrañaga said.

Sheldon McClellan was not a factor either, only taking five shots. Tonye Jekiri was back to his usual and impressive statline, recording a double double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

After two games in three days, Miami will have more of a breather before hosting its next game, a Sunday evening contest with Clemson at the BankUnited Center. Shane Larkin bobbleheads will be given away by athletics at the game.

AJ Ricketts

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...