Basketball, Sports

Canes drop third straight ACC game

Sophomore Davon Reed (No. 5) reaches over a Louisville defender while going for a layup during Tuesday night’s game at the BankUnited Center. The Canes were defeated by the Cardinals 55-69. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Despite nearly a career high performance from Davon Reed, the Miami Hurricanes ultimately could not contain Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell, as Miami dropped its third straight game, this time a 63-55 loss to Louisville Tuesday night.

The Canes (14-8, 4-5 ACC) trailed by as many as 13 in the first half, but slowly chipped away at that deficit, thanks in large part to Reed, who tied a career high with 19 points. Reed was 5-5 from beyond the arc at one point, and Miami cut the lead to as little as three points, twice.

“I thought we had ’em,” Reed said post game. “That’s what I think every time we don’t get a ‘W.'”

But Louisville, (19-3, 7-2) was simply too long and sharp defensively, while their shooting game was uncharacteristically accurate in the first half. The Cardinals, who struggle from the field, shot over 60 percent in the the half, helping them jump out to a big lead.

“We’re on a rollercoaster.” head coach Jim Larrañaga said after the game. It certainly has been that type of season for the Canes. Miami has accomplished a great amount this season – wins at No. 8 Florida, at No. 4 Duke, and at Syracuse, but has now dropped three straight, including a 20 point loss to Georgia Tech, and a heartbreaker to Florida State.

Angel Rodriguez’s struggles continued, as he was just 2-9 from the field, making his tally over the past six games 10-57.

“I’m going to be talking to him as soon as this press conference is over.” Larrañaga said.

Sheldon McClellan was not a factor either, only taking five shots. Tonye Jekiri was back to his usual and impressive statline, recording a double double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

After two games in three days, Miami will have more of a breather before hosting its next game, a Sunday evening contest with Clemson at the BankUnited Center. Shane Larkin bobbleheads will be given away by athletics at the game.

AJ Ricketts

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...