Basketball, Sports

Canes drop third straight ACC game

Sophomore Davon Reed (No. 5) reaches over a Louisville defender while going for a layup during Tuesday night’s game at the BankUnited Center. The Canes were defeated by the Cardinals 55-69. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Despite nearly a career high performance from Davon Reed, the Miami Hurricanes ultimately could not contain Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell, as Miami dropped its third straight game, this time a 63-55 loss to Louisville Tuesday night.

The Canes (14-8, 4-5 ACC) trailed by as many as 13 in the first half, but slowly chipped away at that deficit, thanks in large part to Reed, who tied a career high with 19 points. Reed was 5-5 from beyond the arc at one point, and Miami cut the lead to as little as three points, twice.

“I thought we had ’em,” Reed said post game. “That’s what I think every time we don’t get a ‘W.'”

But Louisville, (19-3, 7-2) was simply too long and sharp defensively, while their shooting game was uncharacteristically accurate in the first half. The Cardinals, who struggle from the field, shot over 60 percent in the the half, helping them jump out to a big lead.

“We’re on a rollercoaster.” head coach Jim Larrañaga said after the game. It certainly has been that type of season for the Canes. Miami has accomplished a great amount this season – wins at No. 8 Florida, at No. 4 Duke, and at Syracuse, but has now dropped three straight, including a 20 point loss to Georgia Tech, and a heartbreaker to Florida State.

Angel Rodriguez’s struggles continued, as he was just 2-9 from the field, making his tally over the past six games 10-57.

“I’m going to be talking to him as soon as this press conference is over.” Larrañaga said.

Sheldon McClellan was not a factor either, only taking five shots. Tonye Jekiri was back to his usual and impressive statline, recording a double double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

After two games in three days, Miami will have more of a breather before hosting its next game, a Sunday evening contest with Clemson at the BankUnited Center. Shane Larkin bobbleheads will be given away by athletics at the game.

AJ Ricketts

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...