Edge, Travel

A night on the town at Wynwood

EDGE_Wynwood_ASo

File photo by Amy Sargeant

In recent years, Wynwood has received a lot of attention as the new creative wave that people from all over the world have come to ride.

While many have referred to it as new and trendy, Wynwood has a history that dates back to 1917. As its 100th anniversary approaches, Wynwood is more vivacious than ever. Art connoisseur, foodies and aesthete amateurs alike, all have something to enjoy at this cultural hub.

Start mornings off on the right note with a cup of cortadito (Cuban espresso) or a capuccino from Panther Coffee. Once lunchtime rolls around, head over to Pride and Joy to enjoy classic Southern barbecue. Confused on what to order? Locals recommend the burnt ends, mac n’ cheese or brisket sandwich.

If it’s a burger kind of day, Kush where offers some of the best burgers in Miami with a satisfying pairings of burgers and beers. Try the gator bites and conch salad for a more authentic Southern meal.

Weekend mimosas are not rare in this part of town. R House or Morgan’s are the perfect spots for Sunday brunch day.

But most importantly, those who are a bit indecisive can rest easy. All of these locations are within walking distance to one another. Keep in mind that Wynwood is not very large, so a nice stroll and breath of fresh air will is always an option. Newly-installed, rentable bikes are also an option and can be found on a few different streets.

As the sun sets, dinner opportunities rise at Wynwood.

A little north of the heart of Wynwood is Gigi’s – a hot spot for dates, dinner with friends, or family time. Gigi’s is versatile. The menu provides combinations of indulgent, savory bites unlike any other.

Those who are over 21 and are looking for a place with a great bartender, can quench their thirst at Wood Tavern. This is a cool and calm environment with an outdoor area featuring DJs that play old school music. Another notable option is Electric Pickle – the number one spot for underground music lovers. It’s a small, dark room with European beats. Located next to Gigi’s is Bardot, which mixes the laid-back ambience of a lounge with the deep house beats of a club. Another cool spot on the map is The Social Lubricant a.k.a. TSL, which has an outdoor area and trendy beats that will make anyone want to move their feet.

Wynwood is covered with murals painted by recognized graffiti or street artists from around the world. This was the initial movement that raised international attention towards Wynwood. Wynwood is slowly but surely becoming one of the most popular spots in all of Miami. So go ahead and surf that wave now to get a taste of Wynwood.

Andrea Cespedes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...