Basketball, Sports

Canes Hoops’ urgency rises with Louisville matchup

Two-time NCAA Tournament champion Rick Pitino and the No. 9 Louisville Cardinals visit Coral Gables 8 p.m. on Tuesday to play the suddenly slumping Miami Hurricanes at the BankUnited Center. Last week, the Hurricanes lost to Georgia Tech, who was winless in ACC play, and rival Florida State. As a result, the Hurricanes (14-7, 4-4 ACC) fell out of the AP Top 25.

“We have a huge opportunity at home,” said team captain Angel Rodriguez. “Louisville is a top ten team, and one of the best teams in the ACC. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

The ninth-ranked Cardinals (18-3, 6-2 ACC) are led by NBA prospects Montrezl Harrell and Terry Rozier. Harrell, a junior forward, and Rozier, a sophomore guard, are projected first round picks in the upcoming NBA draft.

Head coach Jim Larrañaga still does not know what to expect from his team. This season, the Hurricanes have defeated reputable programs in Florida, Duke and Syracuse, yet they have also lost to an assortment of unimpressive opponents and mid-major teams. Perhaps causing this inconsistency is the inexperienced roster.

“We can be very good in spurts,” Larrañaga said. “Our challenge is that we have [a majority]of players who have not been here and been through these ACC wars.”

The Hurricanes feature four transfer players – Sheldon McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Joe Thomas and Ivan Cruz Uceda — who have never played ACC basketball before this season. The Hurricanes also play three freshmen: James Palmer, Omar Sherman and Ja’Quan Newton.

Time may be running out for Larrañaga and his team to hit their rhythm. Only a month remains in the ACC schedule before postseason tournament play starts.

Mark Poulose

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...