Blogs, Miami Globe Trotter

Miami Globe Trotter: Japan speaks in silence

The day starts at the Heian Shrine in Kyoto, Japan. Though a popular tourist destination, many people actively worship and pray here every day. // Jamie Servidio

Japan has left me speechless, and I mean that quite literally.

On the outside, Tokyo looks pretty similar to any major American city. There are tons of people, busy streets, skyscrapers, and the like. When I stepped off the train to this city that seemed so familiar, I was immersed into a city on mute. No one cursed at me to get out of the way or aggressively pushed past me to make it to work on time. No homeless person asked me for spare change, nor did I cringe at the odor from mountains of garbage lining any street corner.

Yep, I was definitely in a foreign country.

In the six days I was in Japan, the silence followed me. On the streets, on the subways, in the restaurants, from Tokyo to Kyoto, Osaka to Hiroshima, Japan was quiet.

At first the absence of sound startled me, awkwardly realizing why foreigners often stereotype Americans as loud and obnoxious. I noticed every conversation my friends had, every crinkle of snack packaging, every scuff of our boots on the pavement.

But when I stopped talking and started listening, I noticed everything. I figured out the train system and noticed the flow of traffic. I started to stay left, and was quiet on the metro, in respect of the businessman’s tired eyes after a long day at work.

Tall stalks of bamboo tower towards the sky in Kyoto’s bamboo forest. // Jamie Servidio

On the train traveling to Hiroshima, I was seated next to an older gentleman who didn’t speak any English. When the beverage cart rolled past, he asked me if I wanted a coffee (I’m assuming) in Japanese. I tried to tell him I was all set, but he bought me a cup anyway. There was a complete language barrier, clearly, but as we sipped our coffees in silence, I had an idea. I took out my camera and began to show him the moments I had captured since arriving in Japan.

We communicated seamlessly without speaking, giggling at the pictures of my friends sleeping on the train and “oooohing” at my photos of the temples in Kyoto.

When the train came to my stop, I smiled at the man and extended my hand. Looking into his eyes as I shook his hand, I felt connected to this man that I exchanged a maximum of 10 words with over our hour-long train ride next to each other.

Silence often has a negative connotation in American culture. For example, the harsh shush of a librarian or a mother’s use of the quiet game to get her children to settle down. Silence in Japan felt peaceful and respectful. I never felt constricted or suffocated by the quiet; I felt free.

I wandered through a bamboo forest. I watched the sunrise at the Heian Shrine in Kyoto. I sat on a bench in the Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima. I savored the freshest seafood and hot udon soup at local restaurants. The best moments of my time in Japan were muted.

There is only so much of a country you can see in a week, but I really feel like I experienced Japan once I shut up and started paying attention. That is certainly something I will carry with me as I head to Shanghai. Until next time!

Jamie Servidio is a junior majoring in journalism. In the next 112 days, she will be circumnavigating the globe with Semester at Sea, stopping in 12 countries along the way.

Jamie Servidio

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...