Sports, Swimming/Diving

Individuals shine despite loss

SPORTS_Swimming

Three University of Miami divers leap as a group from uppermost platform during Saturday’s meet against FIU held at the Whitten University Center Pool. The Canes were defeated by the Golden Panthers. This was the last meet before the ACC championships, taking place in Atlanta on Feb. 18-21. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

It was Senior Day for the Hurricanes swimming and diving team at Saturday’s home meet against FIU. It was a hard fought afternoon, but ultimately the Canes fell to the Golden Panthers in the seniors’ final season event.

Miami’s six seniors were honored in pre-meet festivities. Senior swimmers Heather Arseth, Amy Wiley and Meghan Murphy, and divers Cheyenne Cousineau, Thea Vock and Sam Dorman lead the team with notable performances.

“I put it on our seniors to lead us, and I think it was obvious that they showed us what they’re made of,” Head Coach Andy Kershaw said.

Despite the top performances, the Hurricanes still fell short in the 400 freestyle relay final event. Miami won the first but dropped the second to FIU’s “A” relay team.

Miami’s “A” relay included junior My Fridell, Amy Wiley, Yuskova and Repman. They snatched first in a time of 3:26.66. The “B” relay for Miami with junior Alejandra Gonzalez, Algee, Murphy and Arseth finished .09 seconds behind FIU who had a time of 3:28.61.

“Score-wise, it’s disappointing,” Kershaw said. “For the second week in a row, we had to get first and second in the 400 free relay to win a meet, and for the second meet in a row, we almost did it.”

Wiley grabbed first in the 100 breaststroke while sophomore Julia Schippert took third. Sophomore Angela Algee had a top finish in the 200 fly, while Arseth and freshman Rebeka Repman placed in the top three of the 50 freestyle.

Freshman Ksenia Yuskova earned the first win of her college career in the 200 freestyle. Her performance followed up a second-place showing from sophomore Cameron Davis in the 1000 freestyle.

Vock and Cousineau traded top-two finishes in the diving events. Vock grabbed first in the 1-meter (340.35) and second in the 3-meter (369.15), while Cousineau had second in the 1-meter (326.48) and first in the 3-meter (383.33).

Top finishes by Fridell and Algee in the 100 fly set Miami up for a dramatic finish to the meet. The Canes couldn’t pull it off.

“This is going to hurt for a while, but ultimately the improvement that we’ve made will be what stands out the most,” Kershaw said.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...