Basketball, Sports

Canes Hoops fall to Florida State

In the first half, it appeared as if Miami had erased the memory of a disappointing home loss to Georgia Tech, leading Florida State by 11 points on the road.

It would not last. Led by 18 points from Montay Brandon, Florida State (12-10, 4-5 ACC) rallied from a 16 point deficit in the second half for an emotional 55-54 win over Miami (14-7, 4-4) Sunday afternoon at the Tucker Center, as Sheldon McClellan could not convert a buzzer beating floater in the lane.

Miami scored just 18 points in the second period, after tallying 36 in the first.

“Florida State defended us very well in the second half,” Larrañaga said after the game. “We were trying to do what we’d been doing, and I thought we did do that, but maybe with some anxiousness at the end. We had two turnovers to start the second half that led to dunks, and I really think that got them going.”

Angel Rodriguez’s struggles from the field continued Sunday. Rodriguez shot 3-11 for eight points on the afternoon. McClellan led all Canes with 13 points, while Davon Reed added 11.

Miami’s big men found themselves in foul trouble throughout the game. With 12 minutes left in the game, Tonye Jekiri and Joe Thomas each had three fouls, and Ivan Cruz Uceda had four. It was a rare off day for Jekiri who has shown great consistency this season – he ended the afternoon with just four points and five rebounds, about half his average for both.

Reed noted post-game that Miami had responded well in practice after the 70-50 loss to Georgia Tech.

“I think the biggest thing is maintaining our focus throughout the season,” he said. “I thought we had good focus in the practices following that.”

The Noles finally tied the game with 5:19 left in the game, and regained the lead a minute later. Miami had possession with the shot clock off for the final shot of the game.

Florida State had a strong performance from their bench, outscoring Miami 30-16 in that department. Deandre Burnett did not see any playing time.

Miami’s game against Louisville now holds more importance for the Canes after back-to-back ACC losses. UM now sits at 4-4 in ACC play.

AJ Ricketts

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...