Campus Life, News

Campus watch parties, tradition in store for Super Bowl XLIX

Super Bowl XLIX is fast approaching as the New England Patriots face the Seattle Seahawks for the championship title Sunday evening, and every football fan knows that a Super Bowl game is more than just a game; it is an experience. With that in mind, University of Miami students have been planning and preparing for the big day.

For some students, like junior Ashley Dixon, the Super Bowl experience is a tradition that dates back to as long as they can remember.

“During the Super Bowl, I go to this event that my godmother puts on every year since I was born,” Dixon said. “There’s a lot of good food, gambling games, and every year, we put in our predictions for next year and, during half time, we read out our previous guesses and laugh at how bad the predictions were. When I was 2, they even pierced my ears during the party, so this has been going on long before I even have memory of it.”

While the annual NFL championship game is a family matter for some, others prefer to spend it with friends. Senior Noelle Mendez, for instance, takes advantage of Super Bowl Sunday to gather with all her friends, even those who are not the biggest football fans.

“Every year I go to my friend’s house, where our whole group of friends meet up,” Mendez said. “We order pizza and watch the Super Bowl in the living room while the people not interested in football watch the Puppy Bowl in another room.”

While she appreciates the puppies, Mendez will be watching the final battle between the Patriots and the Seahawks on Sunday.

“As much as I love puppies, the Super Bowl is only once a year,” Mendez said. “Puppies are great year-round.”

Those who live on campus are also prepping for the big game, as being away from home does not seem to be a valid excuse for football lovers. In previous years, resident assistants have assembled televisions and sofas in the residential halls’ main lobbies, but some students also plan to use Super Bowl XLIX to have a good time as a floor.

“For regular old football games or basketball, we usually split up into our sub-cliques and watch in small groups wherever there is a TV,” said Nathaniel Countess, a freshman who lives in Hecht Residential College. “But for larger sporting events, we set up the biggest TV available in the floor study room and order pizza, bring food, et cetera. For the Super Bowl, I wouldn’t be surprised if we broke out the projector one of the floor mates recently bought, and set up one of the sound systems another floor mate has in the study room.”

A good alternative for students that do not have plans yet is the Rathskeller Super Bowl Watch Party, starting at 6 p.m. on game day.

“The Rathskeller Advisory Board does its best to make the Rat more than just a place to watch the game; we want to make it an experience,” said Julie Earl, Rathskeller Advisory Board chair. “So, by adding free wings for the first 50 people, specials, half-time games and prizes, we hope that students and community members will get more out of it than just watching the game on TV.”

Earl explained that, every year, the Super Bowl watch party brings out a lot of people, and they expect this one to be one of their larger ones because of all the giveaways.

“We are also very excited for this watch party because we will be revealing our concert performer for our first ever large-scale concert happening on Feb. 20,” Earl added.

The Super Bowl XLIX game will be broadcast live at 6:30 p.m. Sunday on NBC.

Featured image courtesy Mike Mozart via Flickr

Sophie Barros

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...