Art, News

Cultural cloths to hang at Lowe Art Museum for ‘Weaver’s Stories’ exhibit

Caption here please

The Weaver’s Stories exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum shares stories from weaves of Southeast Asia and the weaving craft. The exhibit opens Friday and will run through March 29. // Photo Courtesy of Fowler Museum

Batik and Ikat are patterned cloth-dyeing techniques used in traditional societies throughout Southeast Asia, where textile-making is a significant means of gaining artistic reputation, wealth and status in traditional societies. These techniques, among others, will be brought to life on the University of Miami’s campus Friday evening with the opening of “Weaver’s Stories From Island Southeast Asia” at the Lowe Art Museum. The new exhibit runs through March 29.

Senior Curator for Asian and Pacific Collections at the University of California Los Angeles’s Fowler Museum, Roy W. Hamilton, will begin the evening with a lecture on the background of the weavers whose cloths are featured in the exhibit at 6:30 p.m., followed by an opening reception that will last until 9 p.m.

“Weaver’s Stories” features 26 cloths alongside eight videos that will take audiences behind the scenes to locations in Indonesia, Malaysia, East Timor and the Philippines to listen to the stories of the artists. Each video ranges from six to 12 minutes and will play on a loop in the gallery for visitors to view.

Jill Deupi, chief curator of the Lowe Art Museum, said “Weaver’s Stories” is “part of a very cohesive meta-exhibition schedule.”

“This exhibition relates very well to the Haitian and African exhibitions we closed earlier this month because it elevates the genre of textiles … beyond the level of ‘craft,’” she said. “Our two preceding exhibitions accomplished this same important goal, in addition to shedding light on the cultural histories and unique value systems of the artists.”

According to Hamilton, Southeast Asian textiles have made popular art exhibitions for decades.

“Unfortunately no previous exhibition consisting primarily of the textiles themselves hanging on gallery walls, offered much opportunity for visitors to engage more deeply with the lives of the women who made the cloths,” he said. “Weavers’ Stories was developed specifically to address this shortcoming. What does their art mean to them? How did they learn it and how have they negotiated the shifting sands of social and economic change?”

Hamilton’s favorite stories speak about the spiritual power of the cloths or about human relationships and experiences. He cited a story about snake spirits seeking revenge for misuse of a cloth as a memorable example.

The event will be held on Friday at the Lowe Art Museum beginning at 6:30 p.m. It is open and free to all UM students, faculty, staff and Lowe members. Admission is $10 for other guests. Parking is available at the Pavia parking garage.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...