Art, News

Cultural cloths to hang at Lowe Art Museum for ‘Weaver’s Stories’ exhibit

Caption here please

The Weaver’s Stories exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum shares stories from weaves of Southeast Asia and the weaving craft. The exhibit opens Friday and will run through March 29. // Photo Courtesy of Fowler Museum

Batik and Ikat are patterned cloth-dyeing techniques used in traditional societies throughout Southeast Asia, where textile-making is a significant means of gaining artistic reputation, wealth and status in traditional societies. These techniques, among others, will be brought to life on the University of Miami’s campus Friday evening with the opening of “Weaver’s Stories From Island Southeast Asia” at the Lowe Art Museum. The new exhibit runs through March 29.

Senior Curator for Asian and Pacific Collections at the University of California Los Angeles’s Fowler Museum, Roy W. Hamilton, will begin the evening with a lecture on the background of the weavers whose cloths are featured in the exhibit at 6:30 p.m., followed by an opening reception that will last until 9 p.m.

“Weaver’s Stories” features 26 cloths alongside eight videos that will take audiences behind the scenes to locations in Indonesia, Malaysia, East Timor and the Philippines to listen to the stories of the artists. Each video ranges from six to 12 minutes and will play on a loop in the gallery for visitors to view.

Jill Deupi, chief curator of the Lowe Art Museum, said “Weaver’s Stories” is “part of a very cohesive meta-exhibition schedule.”

“This exhibition relates very well to the Haitian and African exhibitions we closed earlier this month because it elevates the genre of textiles … beyond the level of ‘craft,’” she said. “Our two preceding exhibitions accomplished this same important goal, in addition to shedding light on the cultural histories and unique value systems of the artists.”

According to Hamilton, Southeast Asian textiles have made popular art exhibitions for decades.

“Unfortunately no previous exhibition consisting primarily of the textiles themselves hanging on gallery walls, offered much opportunity for visitors to engage more deeply with the lives of the women who made the cloths,” he said. “Weavers’ Stories was developed specifically to address this shortcoming. What does their art mean to them? How did they learn it and how have they negotiated the shifting sands of social and economic change?”

Hamilton’s favorite stories speak about the spiritual power of the cloths or about human relationships and experiences. He cited a story about snake spirits seeking revenge for misuse of a cloth as a memorable example.

The event will be held on Friday at the Lowe Art Museum beginning at 6:30 p.m. It is open and free to all UM students, faculty, staff and Lowe members. Admission is $10 for other guests. Parking is available at the Pavia parking garage.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...