Art, News

Cultural cloths to hang at Lowe Art Museum for ‘Weaver’s Stories’ exhibit

Caption here please

The Weaver’s Stories exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum shares stories from weaves of Southeast Asia and the weaving craft. The exhibit opens Friday and will run through March 29. // Photo Courtesy of Fowler Museum

Batik and Ikat are patterned cloth-dyeing techniques used in traditional societies throughout Southeast Asia, where textile-making is a significant means of gaining artistic reputation, wealth and status in traditional societies. These techniques, among others, will be brought to life on the University of Miami’s campus Friday evening with the opening of “Weaver’s Stories From Island Southeast Asia” at the Lowe Art Museum. The new exhibit runs through March 29.

Senior Curator for Asian and Pacific Collections at the University of California Los Angeles’s Fowler Museum, Roy W. Hamilton, will begin the evening with a lecture on the background of the weavers whose cloths are featured in the exhibit at 6:30 p.m., followed by an opening reception that will last until 9 p.m.

“Weaver’s Stories” features 26 cloths alongside eight videos that will take audiences behind the scenes to locations in Indonesia, Malaysia, East Timor and the Philippines to listen to the stories of the artists. Each video ranges from six to 12 minutes and will play on a loop in the gallery for visitors to view.

Jill Deupi, chief curator of the Lowe Art Museum, said “Weaver’s Stories” is “part of a very cohesive meta-exhibition schedule.”

“This exhibition relates very well to the Haitian and African exhibitions we closed earlier this month because it elevates the genre of textiles … beyond the level of ‘craft,’” she said. “Our two preceding exhibitions accomplished this same important goal, in addition to shedding light on the cultural histories and unique value systems of the artists.”

According to Hamilton, Southeast Asian textiles have made popular art exhibitions for decades.

“Unfortunately no previous exhibition consisting primarily of the textiles themselves hanging on gallery walls, offered much opportunity for visitors to engage more deeply with the lives of the women who made the cloths,” he said. “Weavers’ Stories was developed specifically to address this shortcoming. What does their art mean to them? How did they learn it and how have they negotiated the shifting sands of social and economic change?”

Hamilton’s favorite stories speak about the spiritual power of the cloths or about human relationships and experiences. He cited a story about snake spirits seeking revenge for misuse of a cloth as a memorable example.

The event will be held on Friday at the Lowe Art Museum beginning at 6:30 p.m. It is open and free to all UM students, faculty, staff and Lowe members. Admission is $10 for other guests. Parking is available at the Pavia parking garage.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...