Mark Mansfield, former CIA chief spokesman, UM professor, dies at 56

On any weekday in the fall of 2013, Professor Mark Mansfield could be seen shuffling from his office at the University of Miami’s School of Business to Dooley Memorial Building to teach a course on the most secretive organization in the country.

The former chief spokesman for the CIA-turned-lecturer taught “CIA and the World of Intelligence” from 2009 to 2013 at UM. According to students, Mansfield was a passionate teacher despite his worsening health conditions.

“He would come into class and take his brief case out, and you could tell he was just so happy to be there,” Eric Keen, a junior majoring in biology, said. “For me, that really summed up the sacrifices he was making.”

On Jan. 21 in a hospital in Miami, Mansfield, 56, died from complications due to kidney disease, according to Washington Post.

After earning a bachelor’s degree at Rutgers University in his home state of New Jersey, Mansfield went on to receive a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University. That same year, Mansfield began working for the CIA and climbed the ranks for 27 years at the agency, ultimately becoming the chief spokesman.

He was given the Distinguished Intelligence Medal (the CIA’s highest award ) in 2005 and the Director’s Award by former CIA Directors Mike Hayden and George Tenet.

His experiences at the CIA gave students a rare inside look at the agency’s failures and successes. During his time at UM, Mansfield spent many of his classes discussing the Edward Snowden information leaks with students, according to Keen.

“Anyone who took his class walked away impressed,” Keen said.

Beyond animated debates in class, Mansfield encouraged students to explore every opportunity they were afforded.

Byron Hazzard, a junior studying political science and economics, said Mansfield’s encouragement shaped his career path when Hazzard was offered an internship with the U.S. Department of State in Guangzhou, China.

“When I told him the news, he immediately encouraged me to take the job,” Hazzard said. “[He] emphasized that I would be working long but rewarding hours, and told me that I would regret not having the experience.”

In the four years Mansfield taught at the university, students said he made a large impact with his candor and positive attitude.

“I would argue that in whatever small way – he was one guy teaching for four years – he added to the reputation of UM,” Keen said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...