Commentary, Sports, Tennis

Players conquer court

SPORTS_Women'sTennisvsFSU

Junior Stephanie Wagner prepares for a serve during Sunday’s women’s tennis game against FSU. Canes won 5-0. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Hidden behind Mark Light Field, the Cobb Stadium and UM’s football practice fields, the Neil Schiff Tennis Center is quietly home to a No. 12-ranked team in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).

It also houses the No. 8-ranked doubles duo in the country: a No. 39-ranked freshman from Ireland and a veteran coach who has brought her team to the NCAA’s Elite Eight six of the last eight seasons.

This is a team that came off of major victories in the fall of 2014, both for upperclassmen and newcomers. Big-name veterans like Stephanie Wagner, Lina Lileikite and Monique Albuquerque will lead standout freshmen Sinead Lohan, Wendy Zhang and Judith Bohnenkamp into head-to-head play in the coming weeks.

“I truly believe this team has a special dynamic,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “I’m having fun watching them grow stronger as a team with each day.”

Yaroshuk-Tews has been coaching the team for 13 years and is the winningest coach in program history.

Wagner, perhaps the most dynamic member of the team, must be headstrong in motivating her teammates and continuing the momentum after wins. Lohan, who won both the singles and doubles brackets at the Bedford Cup last semester, will be put to the test in head-to-head matchups instead of bracket-style play.

One-on-one matchups begin in three weeks. The Hurricanes must pick up wins both within the ACC and out of conference to make a statement in the ACC Championships and potentially continue to the NCAA Championships at the end of the school year.

In the 2013-2014 season, Miami won six of eight non-conference matchups and went 12-for-14 in ACC contests with losses to only Duke and North Carolina. This season, only two matches are out of conference (including the opener against FGCU), so every match will be imperative for the looming tournaments in April.

The Hurricanes’ next match is the weekend of Friday, Feb. 6 to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va.

Alexa Pappas

As vaping becomes more prevalent among the nation’s youth, the University of Miami is working to ste ...

Two Category 5 storms and an unusual number of weak and short-lived storms characterize a season tha ...

Days ahead of Veterans Day, ’Canes across campus worked together to build care packages for deployed ...

Walter Mercado, who died Nov.2, will be buried in his native Puerto Rico on Friday after two days of ...

The new facility will be modeled after the Lennar Foundation Medical Center at the Coral Gables camp ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...

The Miami women's basketball team tipped off the 2019-20 campaign with a win on Sunday, defeati ...

Miami volleyball took down second-place Notre Dame in five sets on Sunday, marking its 10th win of t ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

His six scoring tosses Saturday against Louisville set a school record. And Jarren Williams is deter ...