News Briefs 1/29

NEWS_UPrideOpenMic_NG

Senior Michael Fenuccio performs during UPride’s Open Mic event, conducted as part of Social Justice Week, held on the Lakeside Patio Stage Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UProv Performance

UProv, the University of Miami’s own student improvisation group, will have its first performance of the semester at 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom. Be on the lookout for upcoming shows throughout the semester.

Rita Dove to Visit Business School

Former Poet Laureate of the United States from 1993-1995, Rita Dove will be visiting campus to reveal her newest book, “Sonata Mulattica.” As part of the Henry King Stanford Distinguished Professors lecture series, Dove tells the story of violin prodigy George Polgreen Bridgetower and his encounter with Beethoven. The event is free for students and will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 5 in Storer Auditorium. To RSVP, visit http://tinyurl.com/RegisterRitaDove.

Apply for Senate

For students who have always wanted to get involved in Student Government (SG) and unsure how, applications to be part of the Elections Commissions are available on http://tinyurl.com/ElectionsCommission. This branch of SG polices and manages all matters that involve any and all elections. The deadline to apply is 8 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 2.

Spring Auditions

QuantUM Entertainment will be hosting auditions for its two spring productions of “The Breakfast Club” and “Edges.” Those interested in “The Breakfast Club” will have to prepare a 30-second monologue and a cold reading from the show. For “Edges,” students must prepare to act and sing at least 16 bars of a contemporary musical theater piece. Auditions will be from 1-5 p.m., from Jan. 31 to Feb. 1 in the Whitten University Center (UC) Storm Surge room.

Girls’ Night Out

Author Marian Jordan Ellis will be coming to campus to speak about her book “Sex and the City Uncovered.” Sponsored by Cru and Redeemed Girl, Ellis tells the story of her former party girl days and her relationship with her religion. The event is free and open to students. Ellis will speak at 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...