News Briefs 1/29

NEWS_UPrideOpenMic_NG

Senior Michael Fenuccio performs during UPride’s Open Mic event, conducted as part of Social Justice Week, held on the Lakeside Patio Stage Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UProv Performance

UProv, the University of Miami’s own student improvisation group, will have its first performance of the semester at 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom. Be on the lookout for upcoming shows throughout the semester.

Rita Dove to Visit Business School

Former Poet Laureate of the United States from 1993-1995, Rita Dove will be visiting campus to reveal her newest book, “Sonata Mulattica.” As part of the Henry King Stanford Distinguished Professors lecture series, Dove tells the story of violin prodigy George Polgreen Bridgetower and his encounter with Beethoven. The event is free for students and will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 5 in Storer Auditorium. To RSVP, visit http://tinyurl.com/RegisterRitaDove.

Apply for Senate

For students who have always wanted to get involved in Student Government (SG) and unsure how, applications to be part of the Elections Commissions are available on http://tinyurl.com/ElectionsCommission. This branch of SG polices and manages all matters that involve any and all elections. The deadline to apply is 8 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 2.

Spring Auditions

QuantUM Entertainment will be hosting auditions for its two spring productions of “The Breakfast Club” and “Edges.” Those interested in “The Breakfast Club” will have to prepare a 30-second monologue and a cold reading from the show. For “Edges,” students must prepare to act and sing at least 16 bars of a contemporary musical theater piece. Auditions will be from 1-5 p.m., from Jan. 31 to Feb. 1 in the Whitten University Center (UC) Storm Surge room.

Girls’ Night Out

Author Marian Jordan Ellis will be coming to campus to speak about her book “Sex and the City Uncovered.” Sponsored by Cru and Redeemed Girl, Ellis tells the story of her former party girl days and her relationship with her religion. The event is free and open to students. Ellis will speak at 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...