News Briefs 1/29

NEWS_UPrideOpenMic_NG

Senior Michael Fenuccio performs during UPride’s Open Mic event, conducted as part of Social Justice Week, held on the Lakeside Patio Stage Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UProv Performance

UProv, the University of Miami’s own student improvisation group, will have its first performance of the semester at 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom. Be on the lookout for upcoming shows throughout the semester.

Rita Dove to Visit Business School

Former Poet Laureate of the United States from 1993-1995, Rita Dove will be visiting campus to reveal her newest book, “Sonata Mulattica.” As part of the Henry King Stanford Distinguished Professors lecture series, Dove tells the story of violin prodigy George Polgreen Bridgetower and his encounter with Beethoven. The event is free for students and will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 5 in Storer Auditorium. To RSVP, visit http://tinyurl.com/RegisterRitaDove.

Apply for Senate

For students who have always wanted to get involved in Student Government (SG) and unsure how, applications to be part of the Elections Commissions are available on http://tinyurl.com/ElectionsCommission. This branch of SG polices and manages all matters that involve any and all elections. The deadline to apply is 8 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 2.

Spring Auditions

QuantUM Entertainment will be hosting auditions for its two spring productions of “The Breakfast Club” and “Edges.” Those interested in “The Breakfast Club” will have to prepare a 30-second monologue and a cold reading from the show. For “Edges,” students must prepare to act and sing at least 16 bars of a contemporary musical theater piece. Auditions will be from 1-5 p.m., from Jan. 31 to Feb. 1 in the Whitten University Center (UC) Storm Surge room.

Girls’ Night Out

Author Marian Jordan Ellis will be coming to campus to speak about her book “Sex and the City Uncovered.” Sponsored by Cru and Redeemed Girl, Ellis tells the story of her former party girl days and her relationship with her religion. The event is free and open to students. Ellis will speak at 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29 in the Student Activities Center (SAC) West Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...