Time to relieve college tuition burden

As tuition costs continue to rise, many students are feeling the pressure to come up with ways to alleviate this burden. Some solutions include graduating early and applying for private scholarships while in school.

Unfortunately, many students are not aware of these possibilities and feel powerless to do anything about their tuition. As such, the most appropriate step would be for the administration to raise awareness of the opportunities to decrease the cost for students.

For instance, many people who bring credits from high school, either through dual enrollment or the Advanced Placement program, may be able to graduate a semester or even a year early. Almost no advice, however, is given on graduating early. So many students, especially those on the fence about it, feel left out of the loop.

Additionally, most students prepare for employment during their senior or junior year, so those who graduate early may feel  unprepared for the working world. The university should be doing more to explicitly offer the opportunity.

Interestingly, graduating in the fifth year has been talked about more than graduating in the third. The recently-approved Plus One program, which provides a full year free to students who are accepted, is a step in the right direction.

The appropriate follow-up would then be to create a program (not necessarily with a scholarship) that guides students through the process of preparing them to graduate and be ready for working full time or attending graduate school.

For students who didn’t come in with extra credits, opportunities still exist, though they need to be both improved upon and publicized.

Plenty of outside, private scholarships exist, but many students aren’t aware of this. There already exists a dedicated Office for Prestigious Awards, which passes opportunities down to qualified students. There should be something similar for awards that are comprehensive. Therefore, students who want to augment their financial aid profile would know where to look.

Additionally, employment opportunities should be augmented. A piecemeal system exists for students to work on campus. Yet, while it is reasonably effective, it could be so much more.

One problem is that the learning experience in college isn’t always useful for the careers in the real world. A potential option to improve this would be to get local companies involved. Employers would hire students as part-time interns, who would be granted additional aid toward their tuition, as an extended work-study program of sorts. In fact, if students are going to spend part of their learning years working, they can pick up skills related to what they want to be doing in the future while studying at school.

The high cost of tuition may be stifling, but it should not be suffocating. There are opportunities, but they seem insufficient and unknown to students. If the administration can increase awareness for things like early graduation, private scholarships, and work study and expand them in meaningful ways, students could focus much more on their studies than on how they will pay for them.

Editorials represent the majority view of  The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...