V's Take

Dear V: My rando roomie is x-rated

My roommate is studying abroad this semester, so I was assigned a rando. At first she seemed super chill, pretty quiet and low key. But then, a few weeks ago, I walked in on her watching some adult entertainment. She was really embarrassed – so was I – and apologized a lot. The only thing is, a few days later, it happened again. And again. Now, if I leave my room to go to the bathroom, when I come back she is watching porn. I think she may be an addict… What should I do?

Sincerely,
Living with Don Jon

Dear Scarlett Johansson,

Wow! It sounds like your roomie would be perfect as Leighton Meester’s character in “The Roommate.” There’s no shame in enjoying adult entertainment every once in a while, but what you’re describing sounds like it’s going more than a little overboard. It’s bad enough to live with someone who always has her boyfriend over. I mean, the sock on the door should apply here too, right?
If I were you, I’d get out of this living situation ASAP – unless you want the soundtrack of your year to be Jenna Jameson’s scintillating dialogue. Talk to your RA and let him or her know what’s going on. People  have changed rooms over less than this.
If for some reason you don’t feel like getting other people involved (or the only available rooms are in the Holiday Inn), try bringing it up with her. It’ll be awkward, but at least you can say you tried. If this is an actual issue, then maybe she should get some help. Does the counseling center have a specialist for porn addicts?
For now, avoid your room at all costs. After all, study rooms were invented for a reason, right? I know your friend’s futon might not be the most comfortable place to crash, but at least you won’t have to worry she’s surfing The Hub all night. As for the nights you can’t leave your room, I would suggest you invest in some earplugs.

Advice Columnist

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...