V's Take

Dear V: My rando roomie is x-rated

My roommate is studying abroad this semester, so I was assigned a rando. At first she seemed super chill, pretty quiet and low key. But then, a few weeks ago, I walked in on her watching some adult entertainment. She was really embarrassed – so was I – and apologized a lot. The only thing is, a few days later, it happened again. And again. Now, if I leave my room to go to the bathroom, when I come back she is watching porn. I think she may be an addict… What should I do?

Sincerely,
Living with Don Jon

Dear Scarlett Johansson,

Wow! It sounds like your roomie would be perfect as Leighton Meester’s character in “The Roommate.” There’s no shame in enjoying adult entertainment every once in a while, but what you’re describing sounds like it’s going more than a little overboard. It’s bad enough to live with someone who always has her boyfriend over. I mean, the sock on the door should apply here too, right?
If I were you, I’d get out of this living situation ASAP – unless you want the soundtrack of your year to be Jenna Jameson’s scintillating dialogue. Talk to your RA and let him or her know what’s going on. People  have changed rooms over less than this.
If for some reason you don’t feel like getting other people involved (or the only available rooms are in the Holiday Inn), try bringing it up with her. It’ll be awkward, but at least you can say you tried. If this is an actual issue, then maybe she should get some help. Does the counseling center have a specialist for porn addicts?
For now, avoid your room at all costs. After all, study rooms were invented for a reason, right? I know your friend’s futon might not be the most comfortable place to crash, but at least you won’t have to worry she’s surfing The Hub all night. As for the nights you can’t leave your room, I would suggest you invest in some earplugs.

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...