V's Take

Dear V: My rando roomie is x-rated

My roommate is studying abroad this semester, so I was assigned a rando. At first she seemed super chill, pretty quiet and low key. But then, a few weeks ago, I walked in on her watching some adult entertainment. She was really embarrassed – so was I – and apologized a lot. The only thing is, a few days later, it happened again. And again. Now, if I leave my room to go to the bathroom, when I come back she is watching porn. I think she may be an addict… What should I do?

Sincerely,
Living with Don Jon

Dear Scarlett Johansson,

Wow! It sounds like your roomie would be perfect as Leighton Meester’s character in “The Roommate.” There’s no shame in enjoying adult entertainment every once in a while, but what you’re describing sounds like it’s going more than a little overboard. It’s bad enough to live with someone who always has her boyfriend over. I mean, the sock on the door should apply here too, right?
If I were you, I’d get out of this living situation ASAP – unless you want the soundtrack of your year to be Jenna Jameson’s scintillating dialogue. Talk to your RA and let him or her know what’s going on. People  have changed rooms over less than this.
If for some reason you don’t feel like getting other people involved (or the only available rooms are in the Holiday Inn), try bringing it up with her. It’ll be awkward, but at least you can say you tried. If this is an actual issue, then maybe she should get some help. Does the counseling center have a specialist for porn addicts?
For now, avoid your room at all costs. After all, study rooms were invented for a reason, right? I know your friend’s futon might not be the most comfortable place to crash, but at least you won’t have to worry she’s surfing The Hub all night. As for the nights you can’t leave your room, I would suggest you invest in some earplugs.

Advice Columnist

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...