Basketball, Sports

Miami women drop road contest against No. 4 Louisville

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

LOUISVILLE — Despite 18 points from sophomore guard Adrienne Motley, Miami could not counter several Louisville runs, falling 68-55 Sunday night at the KFC Yum Center.

The Hurricanes (15-5, 5-2 ACC) jumped out to an early 11-2 lead, sparked by five straight field goals from Motley. Louisville (18-2, 6-1) coming off a loss at Florida State, looked stagnant offensively, and could not contain Motley, who had 11 points before the 14:00 mark of the first half.

It was the most hostile environment Miami had played in all season – 9,000 strong packed the Yum Center, and there was no shortage of intensity. With 6:04 left in the first half, Louisville coach Jeff Walz was whistled for a technical foul after berating the officials – at the time, Miami led 27-14.

Miami promptly missed three free throws, and Louisville began a 20-4 run that would change the complexion of the game.

Myisha Hines-Allen was unstoppable in the interior, a similar role to the one Elizabeth Williams of Duke played against the Canes last week. Hines-Allen went for 23 points on 10-11 shooting, while adding eight rebounds to go with it.

Louisville eventually grew its lead to 17 points with 5:30 remaining in the game, before Miami began to employ trapping full court pressure, whittling Louisville’s lead all the way down to seven. However, Louisville was composed at the free throw line down the stretch, stretching their lead back to double digits and an eventual 13-point victory.

Miami will not have any midweek contests. The Canes’ next game will be on the road at Pittsburgh next Sunday afternoon. It continues a stretch in which Miami has just one home game over the course of 24 days.

AJ Ricketts

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...