Basketball, Sports

Miami women drop road contest against No. 4 Louisville

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

LOUISVILLE — Despite 18 points from sophomore guard Adrienne Motley, Miami could not counter several Louisville runs, falling 68-55 Sunday night at the KFC Yum Center.

The Hurricanes (15-5, 5-2 ACC) jumped out to an early 11-2 lead, sparked by five straight field goals from Motley. Louisville (18-2, 6-1) coming off a loss at Florida State, looked stagnant offensively, and could not contain Motley, who had 11 points before the 14:00 mark of the first half.

It was the most hostile environment Miami had played in all season – 9,000 strong packed the Yum Center, and there was no shortage of intensity. With 6:04 left in the first half, Louisville coach Jeff Walz was whistled for a technical foul after berating the officials – at the time, Miami led 27-14.

Miami promptly missed three free throws, and Louisville began a 20-4 run that would change the complexion of the game.

Myisha Hines-Allen was unstoppable in the interior, a similar role to the one Elizabeth Williams of Duke played against the Canes last week. Hines-Allen went for 23 points on 10-11 shooting, while adding eight rebounds to go with it.

Louisville eventually grew its lead to 17 points with 5:30 remaining in the game, before Miami began to employ trapping full court pressure, whittling Louisville’s lead all the way down to seven. However, Louisville was composed at the free throw line down the stretch, stretching their lead back to double digits and an eventual 13-point victory.

Miami will not have any midweek contests. The Canes’ next game will be on the road at Pittsburgh next Sunday afternoon. It continues a stretch in which Miami has just one home game over the course of 24 days.

AJ Ricketts

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...