Basketball, Sports

Miami women drop road contest against No. 4 Louisville

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

LOUISVILLE — Despite 18 points from sophomore guard Adrienne Motley, Miami could not counter several Louisville runs, falling 68-55 Sunday night at the KFC Yum Center.

The Hurricanes (15-5, 5-2 ACC) jumped out to an early 11-2 lead, sparked by five straight field goals from Motley. Louisville (18-2, 6-1) coming off a loss at Florida State, looked stagnant offensively, and could not contain Motley, who had 11 points before the 14:00 mark of the first half.

It was the most hostile environment Miami had played in all season – 9,000 strong packed the Yum Center, and there was no shortage of intensity. With 6:04 left in the first half, Louisville coach Jeff Walz was whistled for a technical foul after berating the officials – at the time, Miami led 27-14.

Miami promptly missed three free throws, and Louisville began a 20-4 run that would change the complexion of the game.

Myisha Hines-Allen was unstoppable in the interior, a similar role to the one Elizabeth Williams of Duke played against the Canes last week. Hines-Allen went for 23 points on 10-11 shooting, while adding eight rebounds to go with it.

Louisville eventually grew its lead to 17 points with 5:30 remaining in the game, before Miami began to employ trapping full court pressure, whittling Louisville’s lead all the way down to seven. However, Louisville was composed at the free throw line down the stretch, stretching their lead back to double digits and an eventual 13-point victory.

Miami will not have any midweek contests. The Canes’ next game will be on the road at Pittsburgh next Sunday afternoon. It continues a stretch in which Miami has just one home game over the course of 24 days.

AJ Ricketts

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...