Basketball, Sports

Miami women drop road contest against No. 4 Louisville

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

LOUISVILLE — Despite 18 points from sophomore guard Adrienne Motley, Miami could not counter several Louisville runs, falling 68-55 Sunday night at the KFC Yum Center.

The Hurricanes (15-5, 5-2 ACC) jumped out to an early 11-2 lead, sparked by five straight field goals from Motley. Louisville (18-2, 6-1) coming off a loss at Florida State, looked stagnant offensively, and could not contain Motley, who had 11 points before the 14:00 mark of the first half.

It was the most hostile environment Miami had played in all season – 9,000 strong packed the Yum Center, and there was no shortage of intensity. With 6:04 left in the first half, Louisville coach Jeff Walz was whistled for a technical foul after berating the officials – at the time, Miami led 27-14.

Miami promptly missed three free throws, and Louisville began a 20-4 run that would change the complexion of the game.

Myisha Hines-Allen was unstoppable in the interior, a similar role to the one Elizabeth Williams of Duke played against the Canes last week. Hines-Allen went for 23 points on 10-11 shooting, while adding eight rebounds to go with it.

Louisville eventually grew its lead to 17 points with 5:30 remaining in the game, before Miami began to employ trapping full court pressure, whittling Louisville’s lead all the way down to seven. However, Louisville was composed at the free throw line down the stretch, stretching their lead back to double digits and an eventual 13-point victory.

Miami will not have any midweek contests. The Canes’ next game will be on the road at Pittsburgh next Sunday afternoon. It continues a stretch in which Miami has just one home game over the course of 24 days.

AJ Ricketts

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...