Basketball, Sports

Miami women drop road contest against No. 4 Louisville

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

LOUISVILLE — Despite 18 points from sophomore guard Adrienne Motley, Miami could not counter several Louisville runs, falling 68-55 Sunday night at the KFC Yum Center.

The Hurricanes (15-5, 5-2 ACC) jumped out to an early 11-2 lead, sparked by five straight field goals from Motley. Louisville (18-2, 6-1) coming off a loss at Florida State, looked stagnant offensively, and could not contain Motley, who had 11 points before the 14:00 mark of the first half.

It was the most hostile environment Miami had played in all season – 9,000 strong packed the Yum Center, and there was no shortage of intensity. With 6:04 left in the first half, Louisville coach Jeff Walz was whistled for a technical foul after berating the officials – at the time, Miami led 27-14.

Miami promptly missed three free throws, and Louisville began a 20-4 run that would change the complexion of the game.

Myisha Hines-Allen was unstoppable in the interior, a similar role to the one Elizabeth Williams of Duke played against the Canes last week. Hines-Allen went for 23 points on 10-11 shooting, while adding eight rebounds to go with it.

Louisville eventually grew its lead to 17 points with 5:30 remaining in the game, before Miami began to employ trapping full court pressure, whittling Louisville’s lead all the way down to seven. However, Louisville was composed at the free throw line down the stretch, stretching their lead back to double digits and an eventual 13-point victory.

Miami will not have any midweek contests. The Canes’ next game will be on the road at Pittsburgh next Sunday afternoon. It continues a stretch in which Miami has just one home game over the course of 24 days.

AJ Ricketts

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...