Setting goals paves way to successful year

At the beginning of every year, our timelines become congested with posts declaring “new year, new me.” Many see these posts and roll their eyes or scoff at the poster because he or she says the same thing every year. Every year, millions of people create New Year’s resolutions that they are determined to stick to, despite past failures. However, by mid-January, many have already given up on their resolutions, and have vowed to try again another year.

Resolutions are important and can be beneficial if used correctly. As the saying goes, “If you fail to plan you plan to fail.” If you set a goal without a plan, chances are you will not meet the goal. If you’ve never been able to keep your resolutions in the past, maybe it wasn’t due to a lack of motivation or will power, but instead due to a lack of direction. Once you develop a clear cut plan of action, you will find that meeting your goals becomes that much easier.

Additionally, finding someone to help keep you accountable assists in goal completion. For example, let’s say that you made the decision to go to the gym twice per week. If you go alone, it’ll be easy for you to find reasons why you can’t make it. However, if you have someone going with you to keep you on track, you are less likely to blow it off. Find a few good friends and share your plans with them. There is strength in numbers, and the more people to hold you accountable the better.

Whether you’ve already given up on your resolutions, you are still trying to get started, or you haven’t made any at all, there is still time. The year is still young; whatever you do now will lay the foundation for how the rest of your year will go. If you really want this year to live up to the “new year, new me” mantra, the change begins with the goals you set and the plan you develop to implement them.

Taylor Duckett is a senior majoring in business law.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Dafne Cholet

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...