News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: More financial aid, vegetarian food, lighted gliders

With the new semester under way, Student Government (SG) Senate is already passing bills and beginning discussions on how to make the most out of the University of Miami for students.

Here is a list of five important points brought up at last Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

• Executive Director of Financial Aid Raymond Nault-Hix wants to spread awareness about the increase in available need-based financial aid UM is offering to students. In an effort to support socioeconomic diversity, students can fill out forms by April 15 at the Office of Financial Assistance Services, now located in the second floor of the University Center (UC).
    • To increase vegetarian options on campus, a survey is being put together and sent out to students.
    • Sebastian’s Closet will be collecting professional gear until Jan. 31. The program aims to lend students who do not own a suit from the Toppel Career Center, at no cost. SG will continue collecting suits at different times during the semester.
    • Gliders near Stanford Residential College, Mahoney-Pearson Residential College, the Rock and the Rathskeller will receive funds to cover the installation of lights and charging stations. The goal is to establish a more accommodating outdoor study space at all hours on campus.
    • The Association of Greek Letter Organizations (AGLO) will receive $1,500 of co-sponsorship funding to be used solely for “Greek Week,” in which proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy (UCP); this money will not be used for cash prizes. The events during the week are free and open to all students.

Assistant News Editor Alina Zerpa attends Senate meetings every Wednesday and will report on SG happenings in the Senate Recap each week.

Alina Zerpa

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...