News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: More financial aid, vegetarian food, lighted gliders

With the new semester under way, Student Government (SG) Senate is already passing bills and beginning discussions on how to make the most out of the University of Miami for students.

Here is a list of five important points brought up at last Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

• Executive Director of Financial Aid Raymond Nault-Hix wants to spread awareness about the increase in available need-based financial aid UM is offering to students. In an effort to support socioeconomic diversity, students can fill out forms by April 15 at the Office of Financial Assistance Services, now located in the second floor of the University Center (UC).
    • To increase vegetarian options on campus, a survey is being put together and sent out to students.
    • Sebastian’s Closet will be collecting professional gear until Jan. 31. The program aims to lend students who do not own a suit from the Toppel Career Center, at no cost. SG will continue collecting suits at different times during the semester.
    • Gliders near Stanford Residential College, Mahoney-Pearson Residential College, the Rock and the Rathskeller will receive funds to cover the installation of lights and charging stations. The goal is to establish a more accommodating outdoor study space at all hours on campus.
    • The Association of Greek Letter Organizations (AGLO) will receive $1,500 of co-sponsorship funding to be used solely for “Greek Week,” in which proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy (UCP); this money will not be used for cash prizes. The events during the week are free and open to all students.

Assistant News Editor Alina Zerpa attends Senate meetings every Wednesday and will report on SG happenings in the Senate Recap each week.

Alina Zerpa

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...