News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: More financial aid, vegetarian food, lighted gliders

With the new semester under way, Student Government (SG) Senate is already passing bills and beginning discussions on how to make the most out of the University of Miami for students.

Here is a list of five important points brought up at last Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

• Executive Director of Financial Aid Raymond Nault-Hix wants to spread awareness about the increase in available need-based financial aid UM is offering to students. In an effort to support socioeconomic diversity, students can fill out forms by April 15 at the Office of Financial Assistance Services, now located in the second floor of the University Center (UC).
    • To increase vegetarian options on campus, a survey is being put together and sent out to students.
    • Sebastian’s Closet will be collecting professional gear until Jan. 31. The program aims to lend students who do not own a suit from the Toppel Career Center, at no cost. SG will continue collecting suits at different times during the semester.
    • Gliders near Stanford Residential College, Mahoney-Pearson Residential College, the Rock and the Rathskeller will receive funds to cover the installation of lights and charging stations. The goal is to establish a more accommodating outdoor study space at all hours on campus.
    • The Association of Greek Letter Organizations (AGLO) will receive $1,500 of co-sponsorship funding to be used solely for “Greek Week,” in which proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy (UCP); this money will not be used for cash prizes. The events during the week are free and open to all students.

Assistant News Editor Alina Zerpa attends Senate meetings every Wednesday and will report on SG happenings in the Senate Recap each week.

Alina Zerpa

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...