News Briefs 1/26

Current members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity welcome new members during Bid Day at the Lakeside Patio Stage Friday afternoon. Holly Bensur // Ibis Yearbook

Food Court, Dining Hall Grand Opening

With construction finally complete, the Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be introduced to campus. The Hurricane Food Court was renovated to include TOSSED, a salad bar that includes salads, crepes and soups, and BUILT, a make-your-own burger concept. The Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall opened several new food stations. A grand opening celebration will take place with President Donna E. Shalala at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 in the Whitten University Center Hurricane Food Court.

Combating Human Trafficking in Miami

In an effort to generate solutions about human trafficking in Miami, the School of Education and Human Development will be hosting three forums on campus. Hosted by President Donna E. Shalala and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, the first forum aims will begin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at the Newman Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact Barbara Pacheco at 305-547-0749 or BarbaraPacheco@MiamiSAO.com. The second forum will focus on advocacy practices of sex trafficking. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Bank United Center Hurricane 100 Room. To RSVP, contact Ivon Mesa at MESAI@miamidade.gov.

Social Justice Week

Sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is a student-led initiative to bring awareness to the numerous issues impacting campus and to bring together students, organizations and the greater Miami community.

Monday: Art for Kids Presents: Social Justice, A Collaborative Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Students for Education Reform (SFER) Presents: U Reform from 6-8 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Tuesday: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Presents: Trouble in Paradise, a Conversation on Domestic Violence from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Wednesday: Green U and UM Law School Present: Environmental Law and Justice, Taking a closer look at the Miami Environmental Movement from 5:30-7 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

UPride Presents: Speak for the Streets, Social Justice Week Open Mic from 7-9 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Thursday: UGenerations Presents: Growing Up from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

SPARK Presents: Face-BOOKED from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...