News Briefs 1/26

Current members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity welcome new members during Bid Day at the Lakeside Patio Stage Friday afternoon. Holly Bensur // Ibis Yearbook

Food Court, Dining Hall Grand Opening

With construction finally complete, the Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be introduced to campus. The Hurricane Food Court was renovated to include TOSSED, a salad bar that includes salads, crepes and soups, and BUILT, a make-your-own burger concept. The Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall opened several new food stations. A grand opening celebration will take place with President Donna E. Shalala at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 in the Whitten University Center Hurricane Food Court.

Combating Human Trafficking in Miami

In an effort to generate solutions about human trafficking in Miami, the School of Education and Human Development will be hosting three forums on campus. Hosted by President Donna E. Shalala and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, the first forum aims will begin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at the Newman Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact Barbara Pacheco at 305-547-0749 or BarbaraPacheco@MiamiSAO.com. The second forum will focus on advocacy practices of sex trafficking. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Bank United Center Hurricane 100 Room. To RSVP, contact Ivon Mesa at MESAI@miamidade.gov.

Social Justice Week

Sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is a student-led initiative to bring awareness to the numerous issues impacting campus and to bring together students, organizations and the greater Miami community.

Monday: Art for Kids Presents: Social Justice, A Collaborative Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Students for Education Reform (SFER) Presents: U Reform from 6-8 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Tuesday: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Presents: Trouble in Paradise, a Conversation on Domestic Violence from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Wednesday: Green U and UM Law School Present: Environmental Law and Justice, Taking a closer look at the Miami Environmental Movement from 5:30-7 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

UPride Presents: Speak for the Streets, Social Justice Week Open Mic from 7-9 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Thursday: UGenerations Presents: Growing Up from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

SPARK Presents: Face-BOOKED from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...