News Briefs 1/26

Current members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity welcome new members during Bid Day at the Lakeside Patio Stage Friday afternoon. Holly Bensur // Ibis Yearbook

Food Court, Dining Hall Grand Opening

With construction finally complete, the Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be introduced to campus. The Hurricane Food Court was renovated to include TOSSED, a salad bar that includes salads, crepes and soups, and BUILT, a make-your-own burger concept. The Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall opened several new food stations. A grand opening celebration will take place with President Donna E. Shalala at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 in the Whitten University Center Hurricane Food Court.

Combating Human Trafficking in Miami

In an effort to generate solutions about human trafficking in Miami, the School of Education and Human Development will be hosting three forums on campus. Hosted by President Donna E. Shalala and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, the first forum aims will begin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at the Newman Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact Barbara Pacheco at 305-547-0749 or BarbaraPacheco@MiamiSAO.com. The second forum will focus on advocacy practices of sex trafficking. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Bank United Center Hurricane 100 Room. To RSVP, contact Ivon Mesa at MESAI@miamidade.gov.

Social Justice Week

Sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is a student-led initiative to bring awareness to the numerous issues impacting campus and to bring together students, organizations and the greater Miami community.

Monday: Art for Kids Presents: Social Justice, A Collaborative Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Students for Education Reform (SFER) Presents: U Reform from 6-8 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Tuesday: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Presents: Trouble in Paradise, a Conversation on Domestic Violence from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Wednesday: Green U and UM Law School Present: Environmental Law and Justice, Taking a closer look at the Miami Environmental Movement from 5:30-7 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

UPride Presents: Speak for the Streets, Social Justice Week Open Mic from 7-9 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Thursday: UGenerations Presents: Growing Up from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

SPARK Presents: Face-BOOKED from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...