News Briefs 1/26

Current members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity welcome new members during Bid Day at the Lakeside Patio Stage Friday afternoon. Holly Bensur // Ibis Yearbook

Food Court, Dining Hall Grand Opening

With construction finally complete, the Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be introduced to campus. The Hurricane Food Court was renovated to include TOSSED, a salad bar that includes salads, crepes and soups, and BUILT, a make-your-own burger concept. The Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall opened several new food stations. A grand opening celebration will take place with President Donna E. Shalala at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 in the Whitten University Center Hurricane Food Court.

Combating Human Trafficking in Miami

In an effort to generate solutions about human trafficking in Miami, the School of Education and Human Development will be hosting three forums on campus. Hosted by President Donna E. Shalala and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, the first forum aims will begin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at the Newman Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact Barbara Pacheco at 305-547-0749 or BarbaraPacheco@MiamiSAO.com. The second forum will focus on advocacy practices of sex trafficking. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Bank United Center Hurricane 100 Room. To RSVP, contact Ivon Mesa at MESAI@miamidade.gov.

Social Justice Week

Sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is a student-led initiative to bring awareness to the numerous issues impacting campus and to bring together students, organizations and the greater Miami community.

Monday: Art for Kids Presents: Social Justice, A Collaborative Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Students for Education Reform (SFER) Presents: U Reform from 6-8 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Tuesday: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Presents: Trouble in Paradise, a Conversation on Domestic Violence from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Wednesday: Green U and UM Law School Present: Environmental Law and Justice, Taking a closer look at the Miami Environmental Movement from 5:30-7 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

UPride Presents: Speak for the Streets, Social Justice Week Open Mic from 7-9 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Thursday: UGenerations Presents: Growing Up from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

SPARK Presents: Face-BOOKED from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...