News Briefs 1/26

Current members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity welcome new members during Bid Day at the Lakeside Patio Stage Friday afternoon. Holly Bensur // Ibis Yearbook

Food Court, Dining Hall Grand Opening

With construction finally complete, the Hurricane Food Court and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be introduced to campus. The Hurricane Food Court was renovated to include TOSSED, a salad bar that includes salads, crepes and soups, and BUILT, a make-your-own burger concept. The Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall opened several new food stations. A grand opening celebration will take place with President Donna E. Shalala at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 in the Whitten University Center Hurricane Food Court.

Combating Human Trafficking in Miami

In an effort to generate solutions about human trafficking in Miami, the School of Education and Human Development will be hosting three forums on campus. Hosted by President Donna E. Shalala and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, the first forum aims will begin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at the Newman Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact Barbara Pacheco at 305-547-0749 or BarbaraPacheco@MiamiSAO.com. The second forum will focus on advocacy practices of sex trafficking. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Bank United Center Hurricane 100 Room. To RSVP, contact Ivon Mesa at MESAI@miamidade.gov.

Social Justice Week

Sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Social Justice Week is a student-led initiative to bring awareness to the numerous issues impacting campus and to bring together students, organizations and the greater Miami community.

Monday: Art for Kids Presents: Social Justice, A Collaborative Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Students for Education Reform (SFER) Presents: U Reform from 6-8 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Tuesday: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Presents: Trouble in Paradise, a Conversation on Domestic Violence from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Wednesday: Green U and UM Law School Present: Environmental Law and Justice, Taking a closer look at the Miami Environmental Movement from 5:30-7 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

UPride Presents: Speak for the Streets, Social Justice Week Open Mic from 7-9 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

Thursday: UGenerations Presents: Growing Up from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and Stage.

SPARK Presents: Face-BOOKED from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in SAC Ballroom East.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...